Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 28, 2008, 8:28 PM   #1

I have been given a:

Nikon N90 body

SB-22 Speedlite

Nikkor-Zoom AF 70-210mm f/4-5.6

Nikkor-AF 35-70mm 1:3.3-4.5

Can I use the speedlite and lenses on a dslr?

Angel L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2008, 8:54 PM   #2
Administrator

The lenses will work. But, you may want to avoid the entry level bodies if you want to use them (and still want Autofocus). They would not autofocus on a D40, D40x or D60 (these bodies don't have focus motors built in, and neither do those lenses).

As for the SB22, you could probably get it to work using manual exposure, setting the camera to match the flash for aperture and ISO speed for the distances you want to shoot (but, the TTL modes are not going to work with a DSLR).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 9:01 PM   #3

Hi JimC,

Still going strong with the 5D, thanks again.

The D40-D60 do not interest me, will the accesories work on the d80?

What is TTL?

Are the lenses any good, especialy the wide angle?
Old Feb 28, 2008, 9:09 PM   #4
Administrator

The lenses will AF on a D80 just fine (or any Nikon DSLR except for the D40, D40x and D60).

The flash won't work unless you use manual exposure and set the camera's aperture and ISO speed to match what the flash shows for the aperture selected for the distances you want to shoot at.

IOW, the flash won't be aware of the camera settings being used (you have to set it to match the flash), and you won't be able to let the camera control the exposure in the usual manner. The way a compatible dedicated flash would work on a DSLR is by using a preflash. seeing how much relfected light is returned TTL (through the Lens), using it's metering sensor, then triggering a longer main flash burst when the mirror flips up and shutter curtains open.

The SB22 is not considered to be a compatible flash model with a Nikon DSLR, and it won't work that way (you'd have to use manual exposure on the camera, setting the ISO speed and Aperture to match what you have set on the flash).

As for the quality of the 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5, keh.com has some now for around $50 in Excellent Condition. It's probably a good lens. But, that's just not a very popular focal range with a DSLR with an APS-C size sensor. It would give you roughly the same angle of view you'd have using a 52-105mm lens on a 35mm camera, and 52mm is not very wide (you may not be able to back up enough to get what you want in the frame, depending on subject type).

P.S.

It looks like it may be a tad soft on it's longer end, too (judging by the MTF Charts at http://old.photodo.com , even when stopped down. But, MTF charts never tell the whole story.

Old Feb 28, 2008, 9:44 PM   #5

What is the multiplier for these lenses when converted to digital?

Skould I get an 18mm, or what would I be missing to complete the outfit for home, kids and sports?
Old Feb 29, 2008, 6:49 AM   #6
Administrator

Multiply the focal length of a lens by 1.5x when used on a Nikon DSLR with an APS-C size sensor to see what focal length lens would give you the same angle of view on a 35mm camera.

The reason most kits lenses start at around 18mm, is because lenses will be appear to be longer on a DSLR.

If you're not sure what you need, I'd go with one of the kit lenses to begin with for the DSLR model you choose. For sports, it depends on what you want to shoot. That 70-200mm f/3.5-5.6 may not be as long as desired for some daytime use, and it's not bright enough for night sports (you'll need a lens that can maintain f/2.8 throughout it's focal range for that).

Old Feb 29, 2008, 7:03 AM   #7

The X 1.5 for 35mm to dslr conversion, so the 70-210 I have is equivelent to 105-315?

I will probobly get a 18-70 vr for the d80 body, and use the 70-210 for day sports until I can get a nice prime.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 7:23 AM   #8
Administrator

Right. It would have approximately the same angle of view that a 105-315mm lens would on a 35mm camera..
Old Feb 29, 2008, 7:47 AM   #9
Administrator

Nikon doesn't make an 18-70mm VR lens. They've got a new 18-55mm VR, and some other VR lenses (like the 18-200mm). But, the only 18-70mm lens they make does not have VR.

The Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 is a pretty good lens by most accounts though if you can live without the stabilization. It's around $349 at vendors like B&H.