Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 1, 2008, 9:11 PM   #1

I have a Lexar UDMA 4GB card. It's set to Large/fine. Before I began taking test shots the count read 541. Took 10 shots. The counter now reads 535.

Part of the time after I'd take two shots before it would recognize that. Then I'd take another shot. It would note that. Take another. It would note it. Accurately.

What's up with my D300?? Has any one else had this happen when using a Lexar card?
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2008, 10:21 PM   #2

The shots remaining counter is only an estimate. File size is variable for each pic thus makeing the counter not necessarily linear..pictures with more detail and color will be larger, and consequently take up more space thus diminishing the count remaining quicker. Files with less details (especially with white or colorless backgrounds) take up less space and thus may not advance the counter as fast.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2008, 10:28 PM   #3

I don't think the issue is your D300.

It sounds like an issue of Jpeg compression and image content.

An image of a glass of wine in front of a white wall woulld have fewer pixels than say a landsccape with alot of detail.

As you shoot the D300 figures what is left on the card.

I am just guessing but i think this is what is happening.

Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2008, 10:35 PM   #4

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
The shots remaining counter is only an estimate. File size is variable for each pic thus makeing the counter not necessarily linear..pictures with more detail and color will be larger, and consequently take up more space thus diminishing the count remaining quicker. Files with less details (especially with white or colorless backgrounds) take up less space and thus may not advance the counter as fast.

Ok. Sounds like this is a common thing with DSLR's then. I'm guessing this happens with yours too. I thought there was something wrong with my new D300. Relief!!

I mean I've checked the "batter info" menu. And the "shots taken per charge" is accurate. And I do have the number of shots taken on the card.

I adked because with my P&S Sony DSC-H1 the count is accurate. Go figure. I assumed with DSLR's the count would be "linear" and not an "estimate".

Thanks guys!

RJ, what are you shooting with these days? Curious. How about you Nick?

DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 5:31 PM   #5

Quote:
I mean I've checked the "batter info" menu. And the "shots taken per charge" is accurate. And I do have the number of shots taken on the card
The shots per charge is independent of the shots remaining counter and completely unrelated. The shots per charge adds up after shots are taken. Think about it, if it were tied to the card, what would happen when you switch cards??

Quote:
RJ, what are you shooting with these days? Curious.
I shoot mostly with a D80. I've also got a D50, a Sony DSC-V3, and a Canon 720-IS. I just picked up a F100 film SLR for kicks and to use when conditions get rough. At some point I'll probably go to a pro-level camera, especially if I continue getting more photography gigs. Right now, I can't justify the expense. I'm probably looking to pick up a used D200 sometime in the next year or so, and will probably sell off the D50 and D80 when the D300 replacement comes out in a couple of years.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote