Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 6, 2008, 6:06 PM   #11

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
MF is perfectly fine if you have a focus screen to assist it, I'm not sure what is available for Nikon so that is a question worth asking. I would start a new thread so people pick up the question as it will probably be missed if you put it here.
The focus indicator in the viewfinder will still work in manual focus, even with old MF lenses. When the light stays on, you're in focus. However I have found that is not always as easy as it sounds sense the indicator on my D50 is in the bottom left corner of the view vender. And you can move your focus point off target while looking at it.

I installed a third party focus screen with standard split image rangefinder and microprism collar in my D50 It works but it should be noted that it does affect exposure readings. And some compensation must be dialed in. It also takes some getting used to as the AF brackets can not be turned off and one falls right over the split image.

It should also be pointed out the manual focus with an auto focus lens has a different feel to it. The lenses are geared different

tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2008, 7:31 PM   #12

That's true about auto focus lenses in manual mode...I better try it out before I buy. Thanks guys.
jsrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 3:57 AM   #13

jsrockit wrote:
Quote:
Just bought the Nikon D60 after many years away from Photography. I used to use a few Leicas back about 10 years ago and would have loved a digital rangefinder, but I just didn't want to spend that kind of money right now. So, I picked up the new D60 kit to get myself back into Photography.

The one thing I have noticed in the DSLR world is the lack of fast lenses. Why is this? I noticed that Sigma makes a 30mm f/1.4 lens (equiv to a 50mm 35mm film lens right?). Why doesn't Nikon make one? I would love the equivelent of a 35mm f/2 lens (in 35mm film cameras)for my DSLR. What's out there?
"The one thing I have noticed in the DSLR world is the lack of fast lenses. Why is this?"

Because modern digital dslr like your D60 will produce fine pictures at ISO 800 and maybe 1600, so you do not need big, heavy,expensive lenses like film cameras. F/2.8 is consider fast lens. Lack of builtin focussing motor is not a handicap for you as a new commer to dslr as there are enough AF-S lenses for you to enjoy your new superp camera.
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 8:01 AM   #14

ruchai wrote:
Quote:
jsrockit wrote:
Quote:
Just bought the Nikon D60 after many years away from Photography. I used to use a few Leicas back about 10 years ago and would have loved a digital rangefinder, but I just didn't want to spend that kind of money right now. So, I picked up the new D60 kit to get myself back into Photography.

The one thing I have noticed in the DSLR world is the lack of fast lenses. Why is this? I noticed that Sigma makes a 30mm f/1.4 lens (equiv to a 50mm 35mm film lens right?). Why doesn't Nikon make one? I would love the equivelent of a 35mm f/2 lens (in 35mm film cameras)for my DSLR. What's out there?
Quote:

"The one thing I have noticed in the DSLR world is the lack of fast lenses. Why is this?"

Because modern digital dslr like your D60 will produce fine pictures at ISO 800 and maybe 1600, so you do not need big, heavy,expensive lenses like film cameras. F/2.8 is consider fast lens. Lack of builtin focussing motor is not a handicap for you as a new commer to dslr as there are enough AF-S lenses for you to enjoy your new superp camera.
Quote:
Right, but there are advantages to having a f/1.4 lens...other than shorter shutter speeds in darker situations. That said, I have bought the 30mm f/1.4 Sigma since it is completely compatible with my camera.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 8:09 AM   #15
Super Moderator

ruchai wrote:
Quote:

I disagree as there are creative times when shooting at f1.8 or wider is desired. Also situations where even f2.8 is not bright enough to get both shutter speed and enough light into the body to get solid AF.

I do believe that for a general shooter then this does stand as they can do a lot more than in film days.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 9:28 AM   #16

I shoot birds and insects outdoor and consider f/5,6 - f/4 is wide enough. Bigger than that will be too heavy to carry all days. The lens I use most of the time now is Nikon 18-200VR. I also love 105 f/2.8 macro which I use for insects. I used to use 80-400VR for birds but it is too heavy, only use it with tripod and sitting waiting for birds.

I hope camera makers will come out with usable ISO 6400 dslr and f/8 400 mm lens for outdoor bird photographers. If Canon or Nikon come out with such combination I shall buy one.
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:17 AM   #17

I guess I'm more of an old school street photographer type...so a fast 50mm equiv is nice to have as well as a fast wide angle. I never even bother with telephoto lens.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 11:50 AM   #18

First pic with the Sigma 30mm...of course wide open... ISO 400 on the D60. The photo is straight out of the camera, no adjustment in Photoshop. Looks pretty good IMHO:

Old Mar 16, 2008, 2:35 PM   #19

Nice Scrotum Smasher! Rock on!
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 3:48 PM   #20

David French wrote:
Quote:
Nice Scrotum Smasher!* Rock on!
Haha, I was wondering if anyone here would know what it was!!!