Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 1, 2008, 9:11 AM   #1

I am trying to focus on a karate fighter face.. I would liketo have the camera to automatically "track" and keep focusing when the faceis moving left, up, right or down while shooting at 4 fps.

I am having the tracking menu option on "On", focus on "C", but it stills does not track, i.e. when the face is going outside of the center point than no other cross point takes over, making the camera focusing onthe background instead since the fighter is gone.

Any idea of which setting am I missing ?

Many thanks
philgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2008, 10:45 AM   #2
Administrator

Here are some suggested settings I found in this thread. It may help shed some light on what works best for different subject types:

Discussion of Multi-CAM 1000 AF Tracking at nikonians.org

Quote:
At a4 select Group 1 Closest Subject
At a5 select Long for Tracking Lock-On
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 12:08 AM   #3

Which of the 2 combinations below do "pros" use the most in sport ?

The AF-on button with the thumb then fire with the index, orsimply the same button to focus and fire ?

Thanks

Phil
philgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 10:41 AM   #4

Phil,

I'm speaking from Canon experience but I'm guessing the Nikon system works the same way so the answer is probably the same:

invariably pros use back-button focusing.

See this thread for discussion on why/when it's beneficial. I spoke about focus, but TG's points regarding exposure are also valid (something I had forgotten since much of my sports shooting is done with manual exposure)

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=37

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 11:43 AM   #5
Administrator

You started a thread not long ago concerning what D200 focus choices work best when shooting moving subjects. So, I've merged the two threads so all of the responses will be in the same place (use of buttons and modes for sports shooting).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 10:41 AM   #6

I own a D200 and have been frustrated also with tracking. However, it was user error and not the camera. I was shooting flying birds with mine.

I would set a4 to "Pattern 2" and "Center Area" . You can go with Pattern 1 but I would still pick Center Area because that is were you will first focus on your target.

I would not set a5 to long. This adjustment is a delay in refocusing on a moving subject. I would select off for rapidly changing subject distances. This setting is designed for allowing another object to pass between you and the desired subject without the camera refocusing. That is not the situation you have - I don't think and if your using a rather wide aperture setting even small distance changes will blur your images.

The other item which we have not explored is what f-stop you are using. My guess is a low value that makes your DOF rather shallow. You could open this up some and it would help on focusing within a range that is deeper. Of course, you will sacrifice shutter speed to that.

Recommend you just go out and practice with these setting on something or someone and see what works best before the big event.

Hope it helps,

Bill
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote