Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 14, 2008, 3:17 PM   #1

I have both cameras right now. I got an open box (display) deal at BB and paid $399 for the D40X, missing battery, charger and lenscap. I bought a battery and charger via ebay and have cleaned the mirror and lens but there is still a but of dust on the sensor/ir cover. It takes some pretty good pictures even with the small amount of dust bunnies.

The D40 I got for $499 and have yet to use it, still in the box. I spoke with the sales guy at the store before I bought it and I can return it with no restocking fee, but it was the last new one they had and looked like they were going to be dropping it at Target.

Should I keep cleaning the D40X and buy a lenscap or keep the D40 for the 1/500 flash sync speed?
djand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2008, 3:30 PM   #2
Administrator

How about sell both and get a D80 or D200? Or, keep both bodies and have a spare. :-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 3:45 PM   #3

JimC wrote:
Quote:
How about sell both and get a D80 or D200? Or, keep both bodies and have a spare. :-)
I have toyed with the idea of taking them both back and getting a Sony A300. This is my first DSLR and I don't have any investment in lenses.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 3:56 PM   #4
Administrator

I'd probably be the wrong person to ask about the A300, since I'm currenty shooting with a Sony Alpha 700.

IOW, I'd be a bit biased. lol

If you do not have a current investment in lenses, the Sony DSLR models may be worth a look. For one thing, you can find brighter primes on the used market like the Minolta 50mm f/1.7 Autofocus lens for under $100, and still have Autofocus on the Sony if you don't want to spend the money Sony wants for their brighter 50mm f/1.4 Autofocus lens (any Minolta Autofocus lens ever made will work fine on a Sony DSLR model with both Autofocus, and the benefits of their in body stabilization system).

But, with a Nikon D40 or D40x, you can't get primes that bright if you want Autofocus, since lenses like the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, and more do not have focus motors built in (and neither do these camera bodies). So, you'd need to use manual focus with some of the more popular bright lenses with these Nikon camera models.

Most Nikon models won't have that restriction (only the D40, D40x and D60 are missing focus motors in their bodies and require one built into a lens being used if you want Autofocus).

If you don't need those types of lenses (or, don't mind using manual focus) and you're happy with the lens choices with built in focus motors, then the newer Nikon models are well liked cameras.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 6:32 PM   #5

If you take a lot of pictures, I would definitely consider keeping both. I've had cameras fail. I realized the importance of a backup when my daughter was born....my only camera (a Minolta 400si back in 1994) died. I bought a backup and have had one ever since (actually 5 now).

JimC's idea of selling both and getting a D80(or buying into another system if you're not set on Nikon) is also a great idea. Especially since the D40x already has a dirty sensor and has likely been abused a little as a demo in BBY.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2008, 2:48 PM   #6

Thanks guys, you have given me much to consider.