Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 21, 2008, 11:48 AM   #1

My freind can over all excited with his new Nikon D-40 and was amazedat the diffenece in the layout that my D-50 has.

His comment was why does your camera have theLCD read out on top of your camera and mine doesn't.

Anyone know why Nikon changed thison the newer cameras.

jim
incoming22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:03 PM   #2
Administrator

You posted this in our Nikon Forum under Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) which is setup for Nikon's point and shoot digital cameras.

We have a separate Nikon dSLR Forum setup for Digital SLR models like the D40 and D50 under Digital SLR Cameras. So, I've moved this thread there for you.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:15 PM   #3
Administrator

My take on it is that Nikon probably wants to make it smaller, lighter and cheaper to manufacturer. That allows them to be more competitive in the entry level dSLR market niche.

They also didn't include an Autofocus motor in the D40 body (even though the D50 has one), and went to a 3 point Autofocus Sensor assembly in the D40 (whereas the D50 got a 5 point Autofocus system).

Personally, I wouldn't worry about a top LCD, provided the camera's main display and viewfinder give you what you need to know.

Old Mar 21, 2008, 2:41 PM   #4

YA always cheaper ,don't know why companies do that

jim
incoming22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 3:04 PM   #5
Administrator

Nikon is probably trying to bridge the gap between the prices of non-DSLR and DSLR camera models, giving new users a smaller and lighter dSLR at an attractive price.

All of the major manufacturers do that kind of thing to some extent, since they want to attract more new camera buyers, and also want to offer features in their more profitable camera models that give camera owners a reason to upgrade.

Nikon made out in more than one way with their newer D40 and D40x models. They left out features like a focus motor to make them less expensive and more attractive to new dSLR camera buyers, and also made more money on lenses (since new D40 and D40x owners don't have as many third party lens choices as D50 owners, because Nikon's newer entry level models require lenses with focus motors built in, which eliminated the vast majority of non-Nikon lenses that could be used with these camera models when they were introduced, if you wanted Autofocus).

Lens availability from third party manufacturers is improving though, as they are gearing up to offer more lenses with motors built in for D40/D40x/D60 owners (although Nikon sure caught them off guard using this tactic).

After all, Nikon is not doing this just for the fun of it. They want to make a profit selling cameras and lenses. ;-)