Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 22, 2008, 6:21 AM   #1

Hi! I'm an amateur photographer and I've been thinking of buying a Nikon DSLR camera. What model can you suggest for a beginner like me? I hope professionals like you can help me regarding this. Thanks in advance!
Tric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2008, 6:57 AM   #2

Really, alot depends on what kind of shooting you like to do. It's not easy to make a recommendation without knowing your interests. Nikon did not include a focus motor and built a few shortcomings (namely in AF focus points) into their entry level models, now the D60. This limits it's ability to use many lenses and makes sports and action shooting a bit tougher. If that's your interest, you're better off with the D80. For casual, general purpose photography, the D60/D40/D40x will all be fine.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 9:41 AM   #3

Thanks! I'll look into the specs of the models that you mentioned. I'm into landscapes and waterscapes, and food also. Thanks for the suggestions!
Tric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 8:22 AM   #4

Tric wrote:
Quote:
Thanks! I'll look into the specs of the models that you mentioned. I'm into landscapes and waterscapes, and food also. Thanks for the suggestions!
For landscapes and food there's no reason to get an expensive camera.The D40 should do the trick quite nicely,get it as a body and get the new 18-55 VR lens that come with the D60.Or get the D60 kit,there's no reason to get other camera more expensive.Yes,it only has 3 AF spots (compared to my D80-s 11),but it's built like that for simplicity and ease of use,and the lack of the internal AF motor makes the camera smaller and lighter.If you don't need to do large prints i strongly recommend the D40,it'll be great on holidays (it's only a bit larger than the Canon S5 i used to have,but much better).
OTOH,should you want to continue in photography you should get the D80,for using the non AF-S lens like the 50 mm 1.8(which is the best lens in terms of quality/price).Of-course,you can use it on the D40/x/60,but you-ll have to manual focus.
Most people just want better,bigger,they get swept away with what the camera can do,the multitude of settings,etc,but forget the essence of photography:to basically express yourself visually,to show something you like,to immortalize a moment in time.For that you don't need 4658376 AF areas and all the other gadgets and options the expensive cameras can give.You need a tool easy to use which is good enough to capture what you see through the lens.I got good shots with my S5,but it met it's limitations (cannot use ISO more than 200,needs plenty of light,cannot isolate the subject because of the HUGE dof,etc),and got the D80.OK,got it,but the camera is so complex it needs adjustments,and these take time so think/set.If you're not going to sell the pictures or earn money from photography there's no reason to get anything above the D40/D60.If you reach it's limitations and will seriously think you will need a better bigger camera,then you will get it and keep the D40/60 as a second body,or for holidays and travel.
Don't jump in the "i got a brand new D300,i keep it on AUTO mode" band wagon...invest your money in optics rather than camera,it's a better investment.

Good luck,get the camera and start shooting!

gothmog22 is offline   Reply With Quote