Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 22, 2008, 10:40 AM   #1

On my nice new D40x I have noticed a couple of hot pixels ,looking back they have been there since day one .They show up at 1/15 at 600 iso in shade areas not far out from centre.My question is this , is it worth returning it to Nikon ? as I seemed to remember reading, that a camera can come back with more than it went with. I can get ridof them in P/Shop. I would appreciate the opinions of youexperienced DSLR guys.My old Panasonic FZ7 doesnt appear to have any, despite being a few years old. I apologise if this subject is a bit boring.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2008, 11:32 AM   #2

If you only have a couple discernable hotpixels and are able to use PP to eliminate it, then it would be better that you keep what you have. It is true you may get a replacement that may have even more than what you have now. I am not sure how Nikon handles a hotpixel issue. They may remap your sensor, I don't know for sure.

Someone may say send it in as they feel hotpixels are unacceptable but it is inherent in digital photography.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 3:22 PM   #3

Hi deadshot,
I have a few on my D80 and I've decided not to do anything about them for the moment. I shoot RAW and use CS3 and ACR 4.xx which gets rid of them automatically...as will some other converters/software. Remapping the sensor is definitely what Nikon would do, and there has indeed been several reports of cameras being returned with more or at least different hot/dead pixels. It is indeed a fact of digital photography as vIZnquest points out and can happen even when you bring the camera home from the store fresh and new.

goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 6:36 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies fellas,much appreciated.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote