Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 22, 2008, 5:05 PM   #1

Hi, guys. I've had a D70S since the summer of 2006. Several months ago, I noticed that, sometimes, a very annoying curvy line (like a piece of fuzz) sometimes showed up on my camera depending on shutter speed and/or aperture (here is an example of the line in a test shot; the line is on the bird). Today I decided to look into it more because it was starting to get more annoying, and after switching lenses, the line remained. This tells me that there must be something on the sensor.

I took out my cleaning kit and tried lightly swabbing the sensor. When that didn't work, I tried lightly swabbing the white square on the top of the inside of the body, above the sensor (not sure what it's called). That didn't work either.

On top of it all, I think the swab I used had some left-over cleaning solution, because now when I look through the viewfinder, the picture I get is a bit cloudy like when you use a poor window cleaner and you get little streaks. I'm hoping that goes away, but right now I'm more worried about this line.

Attempting to clean it didn't work at all, so I'm wondering if it's scratched. What do you guys think? Is it possible I was using the wrong cleaning methods? Is it a scratch? If so, what should I do with the camera? Send it to Nikon, or look for a local shop?

EDIT: The streaks aren't really going away. What should I use to correctly clean the sensor so it isn't streaked anymore?
Daveecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2008, 7:11 AM   #2

Looks like a dirty sensor, also sound like you cleaned the viewing screen which affects what you see through the viewfinder but not what appears on the image.

I've cleaned a D70 sensor several times and with care it usually gets rid of the muck although it may take a couple of attempts, particulary until you get the knack.

Given where you're at now though it may be worth getting the camera professionally cleaned and I think Nikon are probably the best people to do that.

Ken

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 3:46 PM   #3

I'm pretty sure I was cleaning the sensor, it IS what is inside the front of the body, where you'd normally put the lens, yes?

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I've already made a packing slip to ship my camera off to Nikon as soon as I can.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 6:22 AM   #4

I thought this described the viewing screen 'I tried lightly swabbing the white square on the top of the inside of the body, above the sensor (not sure what it's called).' although if the mirror was up it's probably the back of the mirror. I thought cleaning this might have caused the streaks you see when focussing.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 10:33 AM   #5

Oh sorry, I thought you meant the LCD screen on the back of the camera!

I'd check the viewing screen myself, but I'm not sure how comfortable I am working with the sensor area myself anymore