Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 12, 2008, 3:05 PM   #11
PvB

Update: I've found a combination D40 + 18-70mm Nikkor via marktplaats.nl. A second battery and an LCD protector are included. Tuesday I'll be having a look-see. Agreed price is €475. Hopefully everything that should be there will be present and in good condition.

I've done a check to find out what should be present, in addition to the 2nd battery and the LCD protector:

D40 body
Battery + charger + power cord
The software (probably won't use that though. I haven't with my current FZ5)
Dutch manual (English or Dutch won't make much difference to me though)
Data cables (USB and A/V)
Body cap
Shoulder strap
Eyepiece cap & eyepiece cup
Hotshoe protector

Nikkor 18-70mm
Case
Front and rear caps
Lens hood

Since this is all secondhand there might be a few things missing from the list when I see the DSLR. Which things really matter and must be present? Most things have been listed in the ad, but it finished with "and such" (my translation. For all intents and purposes I'd say it's the same as etc.:?). The body cap, shoulder strap, eyepiece cap & cup and the hotshoe protector weren't explicitly listed. The same applies to the lens case, lens caps and the hood.

If I go along with the purchase I'll only be missing the 70-300mm VR, the SB-400 and a 2GB Exteme III SD card. I'll take the unused 512MB Kingston SD card with me, so I can try the DSLR out. The D40 will first have to format the card though.

Regards,

Paul
PvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 2:47 PM   #12
PvB

Yesterday I went and had a look at the D40 with the 18-70mm. Suffice to say, I bought it:-) Now to save up for the 70-300mm VR, the SB-400 and the Extreme III 2GB SD card (currently using a Kingston 512MB card).

The only things missing from the checklist are the body cap, lens case and rear lens cap. I intend to have a lens attached at all times, so the body cap isn't a problem. I don't think the lens case is really necessary. I expect I'll find my way around that once I have the 70-300mm VR. The absence of the rear lens cap is a point of concern for me, however. Right now it doesn't matter, but what about when I have the telelens on the D40? Will the rear cap of the 70-300 be usable on the 18-70?

The photo is my personal favourite out of the 3 that made it to my computer from the D40. I only used Photoscape to deepen the colour (setting: low). Irfanview was used to resize the image. I'm quite pleased with it:-)

Regards,

Paul
Attached Images

Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:42 AM   #13
Administrator

Congrats on the new lens. The rear cap should be interchangeable. So, when you swap lenses, you could just move the rear cap from one to the other.

Or, buy another one. It shouldn't be too hard to find. Here's one at B&H (Nikon LF-1 Rear Lens Cap):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Lens_Cap.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:17 AM   #14
PvB

Thanks for your reply, JimC. You said the rear cap should be interchangeable, so I went to the Nikon site to confirm it (could've done that yesterday, oh well).
There I found that the rear caps of the 18-70 and the 70-300 are indeed the same:-) I won't need to buy a replacement cap unless I end up losing the cap that comes with the 70-300 (I hope I don't)

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/im...g_if/index.htm
(I give the link for others who have the same issue and who stop by this thread)

Regards,

Paul