Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 7, 2008, 4:05 PM   #1

I just purchased my first dslr...nikon d40 today (at a retailer for about $460 with the 18-55 lens)...and also bought from someone on ebay the Bower 724AFN flash...according to the ad on ebay it said that this flash is full ttl with the nikon digital cameras including the d40...now when I look at the paperwork with it there is nothing about digital cameras....I wanted to make sure the trigger voltage is low enough before I fry my new d40.

I suspect that this was a 35mm flash but will work fine with digital...but want to make sure.

has anyone had any experience with this flash? I heard that nikon digitals can handle 250volts but that only helps if I know the voltage of this flash

For what it's worth, this is the link to the ad on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...TODAY.m238.lVI

I suppose I could take it to a camera store and see if they can read the voltage or get a voltmeter (but which contacts do I touch with the meter....and can I damage the flash if I touch the wrong ones?)

thanks

gregg
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2008, 4:20 PM   #2
Administrator

You measure the trigger voltage between the center contact and the outside shield (the metal outside of the flash foot that slides into the camera's hotshoe).

It's very unlikely you'd have a problem with trigger voltage though (and the Nikon models are capable of handling higher trigger voltages than most other DSLR models). I'd be more concerned with how compatible the flash is for accurate exposure. I'm not familiar with Bower dedicated flash models designed for Digital.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 5:59 PM   #3

thanks Jim

I suspect it will be fine too. I did some searching on the internet and saw someone using the 724af on a pentax *1st....as I understand, BOWER (whowever they are) design a dfferent base for each brand. so they should work with digital cameras.

I just started to have concerns when I saw nothing about digital on the flash or paperwork.

I used a vivitar thrystor 2500 on an olympus c-5000 and c-5060 with no problems...although no TTL auto capabilities either....that flash was 10-15 volts (depending on who you believe)

thanks again

gregg
Old Apr 7, 2008, 6:44 PM   #4

ok, you were right...it fires but it floods the subject....only an on/off switch on the flash...completely washed out the whole photo...really awful...tried several in different lighting...all the same...

I had the camera set on P
max iso 400
slowest speed 1/60
fine quality
TTL on

and even though the flash fired, the camera wouldn't indicate that the flash was attached...kept saying "low light"

now I have to send this back and see if I can get my money back
since they lied in their ad about TTL compatible (good luck)

gregg