Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:04 AM   #1

I have noticed in my SB400 flash instruction booklet that it says doNOT use high power batteries. I have Alkeline Energizer Ultra +, in it at the moment,I also have some Duracell Plus laying around .My question is what are classed as high power batteries ?Does anyone know?I lookedat the batteries in a store yesterday and could not see any with High Power on them. I used to have a large flash on my Canon some years ago and used rechargeable batt.s for a while but they used to flatten very quickly. So I dont really want to go along that route.

Thanks
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:10 AM   #2
NHL

The high power batteries are the rechargeable NiMh with high current capacity - These battery may allow the flash to recycle too quickly for its own good

-> i.e. too much heat build up which could melt the head if you shoot a lot of frame quickly and not allow the flash to cool off

deadshot wrote:
Quote:
I used to have a large flash on my Canon some years ago and used rechargeable batt.s for a while but they used to flatten very quickly. So I dont really want to go along that route.
-> They have 'hybrid' now which do not self-discharge, Sanyo and Duracell also makes them:
http://www.rayovac.com/recharge/hybr...ts_intro.shtml
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:52 AM   #3

NHL wrote:
Quote:
The high power batteries are the rechargeable NiMh with high current capacity - These battery may allow the flash to recycle too quickly for its own good

-> i.e. too much heat build up which could melt the head if you shoot a lot of frame quickly and not allow the flash to cool off

deadshot wrote:
Quote:
I used to have a large flash on my Canon some years ago and used rechargeable batt.s for a while but they used to flatten very quickly. So I dont really want to go along that route.
-> They have 'hybrid' now which do not self-discharge, Sanyo and Duracell also makes them:
http://www.rayovac.com/recharge/hybr...ts_intro.shtml
Does that mean all NiMh rechargeables are high current capacity ,or are there separate onesmarked as being "high Current"?. It looks as though the hybrid are not H.C.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 12:19 PM   #4
Administrator

The capacity of an NiMH Battery is usually shown in mAh (milliamps per hour), which is a way of telling how much total current the battery can supply before it needs recharging. See Steve's page on Rechargeable Batteries here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

But, that rating usually doesn't have much to do with how much current can be drawn at one time.

Interestingly, I've seen some users comment that recycle times are much faster with the newer eneloop type batteries in some flash models, supposedly due to a lower internal resistance. So, that could be the type of battery they mean to avoid.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 1:15 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies everybody, it looks like you were absolutely right with your assumptions.

While I was waiting I trawled through the FAQ's in Nikon UK and found this.:

http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/c...mp;p_topview=1

Basically, it says this and it applies to the Sb800 and Sb600 as well.

It is ok to use alkaline-manganese 1.5v,lithium 1.5v, NiCd rechargeable 1.2v, NiMh rechargeable 1.2v, High power manganese rechargeable not recommended.