Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 12, 2008, 4:44 AM   #1

Hey guys,

I've currently got a Canon Ixus P&S and am becoming very interested in doing photography as a serious hobby.

After going to the camera shops and picking up and holding a few brand's of camera's, I loved Nikon the best - it just seemed to feel right and seemed easy to navigate through the menu's.

I've chosen to go with the Nikon D80 because of the AF motor being in the body. Also because of the high amount of reviews and great comments from owners of the camera.

I'd prefer to build up a good quality range of glass, rather than getting crappy lens that end up collecting dust. But if the kit lens's are great for an amatuer to advance his photography skills... then i'm all for it - as i can upgrade lens

This is what's availabe from the onilne retailer in Australian Dollars..:

NIKON D80

Body Only
$1265

with 18-55mm
$1395

with 18-55 &70-300mm
$1445

[align=left]with 18-135mm[/align]
[align=left]$1499

with 18-135 & 70-300mm
$1695

with 18-55VR &70-300VRmm
$2149

with 18-200mm VR
$2170

Now i'm looking at buying this in the next week or two.

What is the best value in these kits?[/align]
[align=left]Remember i'm just a n00b at using a DSLR and would like a combo that will allow me to shoot macro, portrait and zoom ifpossible - since i have a car show coming up of my brothers and friends racing in and it'd be great if i could get some shots.. but as we all know it's the photographer that makes the shots.. but i'd like to see what i can get :-)
[/align]
[align=left]Thanks

-Roderick
[/align]
RoddySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2008, 7:14 AM   #2

My opinion is the 18-200VR is your best option regarding price/image quality/width and reach is concerned.

This is the best Nikon lens for the money and it will place you in good stead to learn many types ofphotography.

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2008, 8:01 AM   #3

For whatever reason, kit lenses have a bit of a bad rap. In reality, for the money (especially when purchased with the camera), they are a great value. The 18-135. It is quite sharp, has a decent range, although it does have some distortion issue, and occassionally struggles with CA. I use this lens most of the time, and it's good enough to use in most situations, and has earned me some money. The 18-55, I would probably choose the Vr version. None of these lenses are great macro lenses. For serious macro work, you'll need a dedicated macro lens.

The 18-200 mentioned by Nick, is a good lens as well....very convenient, vr enabled, and good image quality. It does suffer from distortion at extremes (as is to be expected for a lens with that range), and is a bit pricy, although the price has gone down a little since the supply problem that plagued this lens has gone away. You give up some reach vs the 70-300vr kit, but if you don't like changing lenses, this would be the way to go. This also is not going to be a great macro lens.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2008, 11:10 AM   #4

Thanks for the comments

Is it worth getting extended warranties? The extended warranty will cover the same conditions as the manufucaturers warranty.

I think i'll probably get the 18mm - 200mm VR lens.. since it is a decent lens and as Nicholas said - it will place me in good stead for various types of photography. Once i find a style i like, i can always get the proper lens to suit that style.

-Rod
RoddySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2008, 11:58 AM   #5

Whether or not to buy extended warranties is a personal choice, depending on your comfort level. I almost never buy them. They are typically expensive, and if problems occur with your camera, they will typically happen before the manufacturers warranty is up. They also do not typically cover problems which occur do to misuse, or non defective parts (ie dropping the camera) which are the most common reason for a cmaera failing. Of course if something does go wrong, they are a great purchase. These warranties typically make alot of money for the sellers...that alone should tell you if they are really worth it for the buyer. Bodies are somewhat disposable anyway..they are discontinued and replaced by something better, stronger and faster every 18-24 months, so if something did go wrong you'd be better off buying a new body anyway. I personally forego extended warranties and cover my equipment under a seperate insurance policy that does cover damage.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote