Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 13, 2008, 1:27 AM   #1

This is my 1 week old D80's sensor at F22 on a white paper. I opened the box in the house and put the lens on the body immediately. Why the H*(( would it be so dirty? I guess I will try this http://www.copperhillimages.com/shop...tion.php?id=40
Attached Images

Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2008, 8:03 AM   #2

What lens did you use? If that is dirt it sure is sharp dirt. I tried the same thing with my D80 and 18-200 and I do see a few spots but they are not really in focus. And I can see you used the flash but it is much harsher than mine turned out. Do "regular" pictures have this stuff showing up?
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2008, 8:05 AM   #3

It also looks like you may have used a very high ISO. I see some color to your white paper I don't see in mine.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:02 AM   #4

I'm not sure this test is accurate. As was mentioned, it looks like the iso is too high as there is alot of noise, and the flash is very harsh. Try taking a picture of a clear blue sky at a small aperture. This is more reflective of a typical shooting situation where you would see dust. Then take the same picture at a normal aperture. I'm willing to be the second picture won't be so bad, and if you see alot of dust in the second picture I would return the camera for service.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2008, 3:17 PM   #5

I shot at F22 and opened in photoshop CS2. Then I chose image...adjustments...then auto levels. This was the final outcome. I found this procedure online reading about dust on a sensor. The black dots are dust according to the article.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 5:02 PM   #6

I ordered my cleaning kit as per a friend that uses this on his Sony. I'll have a cleaner sensor in a few days.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 6:06 PM   #7

Goofas wrote:
Quote:
I shot at F22 and opened in photoshop CS2. Then I chose image...adjustments...then auto levels. This was the final outcome. I found this procedure online reading about dust on a sensor. The black dots are dust according to the article.
I'm sure some of the spots are dust...I am also sure that not all of them are. The other thing to consider is, are these spots showing up in your normal pictures? If you haven't noticed any dust in pictures, then your problem is not as bad as it seems. I've only used a blower on my D80's sensor when I see spots show up in my images, and that has taken care of it. I've never wet cleaned my sensor in over a year of solid use. I have cleaned my D50's sensor several timesi n 3 years.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 2:14 AM   #8

Goofas,,,

I too own a D80 and am having mega troubles with dust at the moment, just as bad as yours,, and,, I too am surely frustrated at trying to get rid of it...

It all began with a photo I took just amonth or moreago, of an aircraft which was at high altitude in the clear blue sky. When I viewed the shot on my PC, I noticed a large dark blur in the shot and although I had read about sensor dust, I had never experienced it up until this moment. I was not game enough to go sticking things into the cavity inside the camera as I thought - "That's forexperts only"... I sure don't think that now. The actual act of clening is easy peasy, BUT, just how good your or your cleaning equipment are is a different matter...I became a little bit obsessed about getting rid of this dust and began reading about how to do it. I had never used the mirror-lock before (suffice to say it has now become a well worn track I have walked down many times).I got out the squeeze type rubber blower and locked up that mirror and gave a few blasts inside the sensor area. This did move the largest rock (well it did look the size of a rock in the picture)on the sensor but apart from that, virtually all the other particles stayed right where they were. Since I couldn't actually see these other particles on any normal f5.6 (+/- a few stops) shots, I decided to leave well enough alone... That lasted just on one week, when out of the blue, another large boulder appeared against another zoom shot with the blue sky as a background. Now, this boulder was large enough to see with the naked eye once the sensor was exposed. Once again I got out the blower and gave a few good blasts. Problem solved... Would you believe it..??? It happened again - another freakin boulder appeared a few days later... Now I was asking myself => Why in the past 12 months had I never had this problem with the D80, then all of a sudden in 3 or 4 weeks it was a plague to me..??? At this point I checked the D300 which I also own and there is no sign of the foul stuff using Photoshop Auto-Level at all... Why the D80..???

Ok, I hit the road and bought an arsenal to help me combat the problem...

1. Kinetronics Speck Grabber, which I haven't as yet actually used...

2. VisibleDustArctic Butterfly rotating sensor brush - Quite good but very limited...

3. Delkin Scope - full cleaning kit with view scope, vacuum cleaner, swabs etc.

You know what... There must be something in the air, as I just cannot completely cure this dust problem...

The VisibleDust brush helped to remove lots of the loose stuff but you have to use it carefully or it doesn't work at all. You spin the head/brush for a few seconds then "lightly" brush the hairs across the sensor filter, the lighter the better so the statically charged hairs can pull the loose particles away. This method DID work and well, but will not pull the stubborn particles away.

This is where I prayed to the great camera god in the sky and took a plunge... I tried the Delkin kit. The view scope is worth its weight in gold BUT a word of advice here... This scope can make a obsession of cleaning this dust, simply because the more you look, the more you see and the more you have to clean - that's what it did to me anyway... I got one of the swabs, put two drops of fluid on it and swiped across one way they tilted the swab back and swiped back to complete the cleaning cycle. I then tipped the swab end for end and used the other end to dry off the filter. This method pulled about 75% of the particles away and got rid of the welded particles which didn't want to previously move.

Yippee - NOT likely...!!!

It left a big white streak on the sensor filter. After this initial clean, I lost the sensor-phobia that most people adopt and got out another swab and repeated the cycle, this time making sure I had the swab contacting the sensor surface evenly, as I might have had it slightly tilted over the first time, thus leaving the streak where it didn't quite rub enough.Yes...!!! No more streak, but with the scope viewer I did see some smaller particles again so I used the VisibleDust brush to removemost of them.

At this point I retested by setting at f22 and aiming for the beautiful clear blue sky. There was still quite a few particles in Auto-levels... Geeeez man, why, why, why - where are they coming from...??? I used another swab butI didn't use any fluid as I knew there was only loose stuff there. This time I swiped up and down and not left to right etc... This is not recommended as the swabs are made to completely cover the sensor area from left to right but up and down, they would not cover the complete surface, so I did two cycles to cover the entire surface. It did the best job yet and got rid of most of the particles. I left it at that and settled for this... Pheww...!!!

One week later (just one week ago), I was horrified to see yet another big dark blur in a shot I took with the blue sky in the background. For Chr**ts sake, what is going on here...???

This time I merely used the VisibleDust brush and removed lots of the massive buildup yet again, but I spent a lot of time chasing the particles around the sensor. I virtually gave up trying to achieve Zero tolerance. It just wont happen for me...

The big question still remained un-answered though - Why and where was this stuff coming from and building up so quickly...???

Then it dawnedon me...

I was taking quite a few shots out of the window of our work van on the way to and from our jobs and maybe, just maybe all that wind blowing by has something to do with it. That plus using an 18-135mm zoomer, which could be acting like a bellows, collecting then blowing crap into the camera... I immediately stopped this type of photo taking and it appears to have reduced the dust buildup to a degree. I am hoping...

Oh yes... Just the other day my brother managed to scrounge some 99.99% pure methanol from his work for me, about a coke cans worth. It's in a laboratory bottle and he also got me a couple of syringes and needles to suck it up and squeeze a few drops onto the swabs. He also gave me a stiff warning about the dangers ofmethanol to the human body and that I must wear gloves and breathing equipment also and accented the words - DON'T LET IT COME IN CONTACT WITH YOUR SKIN, as it has a cumulative affect, building up inside you over a period of time... I haven't used it yet but "next time",, I will...

I may have to get back to you on this one, as I hold my breath...
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 11:03 AM   #9

Well I ordered a wet cleaning kit that should be here in a few days. I had my D80 out the first few days without carrying it in a bag...just around my neck. I really hope the lens is not that much of a dust grabber. I will post some before and after shots of the cleaning process as soon as possible. Thanks for sharing your story.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 4:39 PM   #10

You Can Take it for what its worth, But if you put methanol on that sensor in any form,plan on buying a new camera. They use it to dry gasoline for one thing and it will very likely melt your sensor down to goo.......Not a happy thought
John52 is offline   Reply With Quote