Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 13, 2008, 4:03 AM   #1

Still searching for the PERFECT settings for my D40 lenses used 18-200Vr and 18-135 both very similar results. andexellent( amature thats me )lenses imo The D40 has it seems so many settings for its own good or mine ..

I shoot mostly at F10 -F13 to get maximum sharpness I understand that , the D40 is producing either too vivid cartoon looking or too dull and less than sharp enoughjpegs, I have used all the combinations in the menue but not true to life photos it seems cant be done:?.Iwont do raw not ever enough time .

Seems Iam using my spare time not shooting as much as I would like but trying to find true to life colors and decent sharpness without to much picassa processing, I just have picasa .Thank youD40 users if you haveany users settings advice.

THANKS ALSOTO STEVE ( AND JIM ) EXELLENT PLACE TO VISIT AND LEARN AND GET ADVICE.
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2008, 8:00 AM   #2

There are no "perfect" settings. Shooting at f10-f13 is certainly not always the answer. Without a flash, or very bright sunlight, you'll likely end up with shutter speeds that are too slow, which will result in blur from subject movement. F13 and above, you'll likely have softness from diffraction as well. Usually the sharpest apertures are around f8. Those small aperatures are ok for landscapes, but not good for portraits or shots where you want to isolate the subject, as too much will be in focus. Fast shutter speeds will stop subject blur.

Because you've been using small aperatures, I suspect some of your color issues may be related to underexposures, which are resulting in dull dark images indoors and in average light. Try shooting in auto for a bit and see how the camera does, and what exposure settings it using. You might be suprised at the results. I typically shoot in "A", and with all the color settings at default levels. In my opinion, every Nikon camera I've ever used has emphasized reds a bit too much especially in flesh tones. When post processing, dialing back the red channel tones the vividness down a bit.

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 2:09 AM   #3

Thanks again forgood advice . Ok I will try f8, Yes you might have told me somethingthatIwas seeing, Twas the red on faces showing upor ratherthe faces in shots looking over saturated ,

So not to use the many sharpness contrast saturation vivid more vivid tone ect setting adjustments and maybe try to use picasa to adjust things that I will do insted of the endless adjusting ,

Makes me wonder if I choose the wrong brand! though I do like the way theNikon handles and its quality feel,are other brands more nuetral Im wondering now ,

Part of the reason I choose the D40 was I read its Jpegs where the best, as I knew I would not want or have time for Raw but my old FZ 20had more natural color for those peoples facesshots have to say., Again thanks for your advice your very kind to reply I wont be fiddling around so much adjusting things on the D40 and if I cant be satisfied I might have to search some more :angry:.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 4:56 AM   #4

I still don't recommend just shooting everything at f8. Unless you are using flash, you will end up underexposing many shots. You have to judge the lighting and choose the correct aperture. Just because f8 may be the sharpest aperture, it does not mean it should be the one you shoot at all the time. For portraits, you typically would want a larger aperture to make the subject stand out, and portraits tend to look better a little softer. There are other situations where you don't everything in focus. If you just shoot blindly at f8, you eliminate much of your creative use of focus, which is an important part of photography. Also, unless your pixel peeping, your not likely to notice the small differences in sharpness at normal print sizes.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 5:26 AM   #5

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
I still don't recommend just shooting everything at f8. Unless you are using flash, you will end up underexposing many shots. You have to judge the lighting and choose the correct aperture. Just because f8 may be the sharpest aperture, it does not mean it should be the one you shoot at all the time. For portraits, you typically would want a larger aperture to make the subject stand out, and portraits tend to look better a little softer. There are other situations where you don't everything in focus. If you just shoot blindly at f8, you eliminate much of your creative use of focus, which is an important part of photography. Also, unless your pixel peeping, your not likely to notice the small differences in sharpness at normal print sizes.
Thanks:G , Well if F8 is sharpest ie sweet spot that seems best aperture for me to try out now, I am notinto portraits with blurry backgrounds to be truthfull unlike some others who do like that,some family pointed outand said to me stuff like this when that happened " your camera is unble to focus " I am trying to get tue to life color and good sharp result also I have not got pro glass so 5.6/and 8 is as low as I can go for now, Wonder if other brands have less of the red oversaturated thing you say nikon have