Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 21, 2008, 5:42 AM   #1

Hi , I have found that when I use the spot metering on my D40x in Program mode I sometimes get what to me is a strange metering.I dont get it in Matrix.

I.E. if I meter on a dark flag against a bright sky with my 18-200mm lens at the long end,I will get a reading of 1/800th up to 1/3200th at F5.6.I know I can program shift to something like 1/200th at F11, but why would a metering system give a reading like that. It appears that it defaults to a wide aperture and just hikes up the shutter speed. If after I have program shifted to say F11 it will take the next reading basedaround that area but if I switch the camera off it will after a period of time go back to the wide aperture again.What I want to know is ,is this a malfunction or normal for Nikon before I send it back?

I have only ever had Canon film slrs before and as we know they only offer Partial metering not Spot and I never had this effect with them.

Thanks for your replies.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2008, 1:51 PM   #2

I am replying to this myself as it may be of interest to one or two of you.I have since been in contact with Nikon and they tell me that it is symptomatic of the 18-200mm VR lens, that at the long end it will default to a wide aperture in Auto and Program modes, as a safeguard against blurred shots and to allow more information through to the camera, so that it can process quicker.It is apparently to do with Digital processing.

It seemed strange to me to get readings like 1/4000 @ F5.6. Obviously it can be changed with Program Shift.

Anyway thats what the man said.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote