Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 21, 2008, 1:08 PM   #1

I am a total noobie to the dslr thing. I have just got a d-40 with the 18-55 f3.5-5.6g ed 2 lens. Other than not being able to fully understand anything yet,I want to buy a different lens....Something that will bring the subject in closer. ie I want to take a shot of something from.... say across the street or maybe a little farther. I could barely afford the camera so I looking at any aftermarket brand and not at all worried about the true quality at this point. What is the mount type I need and other info I should be looking for? As I said I am as dumb as a rock on this subject. I was looking at some "tamaron" lens on ebay. I do want something on the cheap end pricewise.
alan081954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2008, 8:23 AM   #2

Companies such as Tamron, Sigma, Tokina, etc build lenses mostly for Nikon and Canon so you have to specify you want the Nikon mount.

Your D40 doesn't have a focus motor so you have to insist on a lens with the built-in focus motor or you won't have autofocus. At present this means getting a more expensive lens than expected.

These companies also have different quality lines from consumer grade to professional lenses. You get the value you pay for!

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/index.php has a number of reviews of popular lenses that you should examine.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 8:35 AM   #3

Thanks Bob, I have been looking around and will check out the link you sent.

Bob Nichol wrote:
Quote:
Companies such as Tamron, Sigma, Tokina, etc build lenses mostly for Nikon and Canon so you have to specify you want the Nikon mount.

Your D40 doesn't have a focus motor so you have to insist on a lens with the built-in focus motor or you won't have autofocus. At present this means getting a more expensive lens than expected.

These companies also have different quality lines from consumer grade to professional lenses. You get the value you pay for!

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/index.php has a number of reviews of popular lenses that you should examine.
alan081954 is offline   Reply With Quote