Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 28, 2008, 8:04 PM   #1

Have you guys noticed your D300's overexposing in bright sunlight? If so what have you dialed down the exposure comp to? -7?

Thanks.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2008, 5:12 AM   #2

I just got my D300 a couple of days ago, I don't find it to be too much different than my D80 was. The d300 does seem to give a little more weight to what is under the focus sensor which has caused a few hot exposures, but this seems to be predictable. I've only noticed it in matrix mode...I mostly shoot in centerweighted. The metering hasn't been a big issue in my switch. I'm having more trouble with the Af system, and which mode to use in a given situation.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 7:00 AM   #3

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Have you guys noticed your D300's overexposing in bright sunlight? If so what have you dialed down the exposure comp to? -7?

Thanks.
I have no over exposure problems with my D300.

The best answer to your quesion is on your LCD and your historgram or blinking highlights.

You can take a shot and evaluate your image info and adjust your exposure compensation up or down as needed.

Try it and please report back on your results.

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 7:24 AM   #4

Nick mention using the LCD, and that is one of the great features of the D300. The lcd is truly usable to evaluate things like focus, white balance etc. It's the first DSLR I've owned that I feel like I can trust when using the LCD to evaluate my images. I know some people call it "chimping", but the LCD is just amazing on this body.

From what I've seen, most of the people having issues with exposure on the D300 are either first time users of Nikon DSLR's or someone who moved up from either the first generation (D70, D100) or film cameras. The metering is slightly different, but as I said before, I think with practice and use, it's fairly predictable and reliable.

Old Apr 29, 2008, 7:25 AM   #5

I've noticed the same thing as rjseeney, that the D300 does seem to give a little more weight to what is under the focus sensor. I shot a Canada goose in flight using matrix metering and found the bird was properly exposed and the sky a bit overexposed.
Attached Images

Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 8:23 AM   #6

I actuallly haven't noticed it on mine. Even if I haven't done enough shooting in lately (been busy preparing my home for sale, open house and the sale....SOLD!!). Just read about how some others noticed overexposure in bright sunlight. Wondered if any of you noticed it as well.

So far I've been very happy with mine. If I do run into overexposure I'll definitely post. As well as any exposure comp I might dial in.

Welcome to the D300 Club Rj!!
Old Apr 29, 2008, 8:47 AM   #7

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
I'm glad to be here, although I'm here a bit poorer:0). I know I said I wouldn't be getting a D300 anytime soon, but I've been doing more photography work, especially with sports and the D80's focus speed and system was becoming limiting. I also picked up a basketball gig in the fall, and needed better low lowlight performance. I needed a backup anyway, but felt I'd be giving up too much by going down a body (to the D60 or D40 series) and couldn't wait much longer for the D80's replacement and it probably wouldn't have given me everything I needed anyway. With the tax rebate check+my regular tax refund, I convinced my wife to let me invest in my growing business, and bit the bullet and got the D300. The $300 rebate on the 18-200 was icing on the cake. It's not my favorite lens, but the convenience factor will be nice when I want to travel light.

In 2-3 years I hope to move up to a pro level body (although some will argue the D300 is pro-level), either the D3 or it's replacement.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:22 AM   #8

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
I'm glad to be here, although I'm here a bit poorer:0). I know I said I wouldn't be getting a D300 anytime soon, but I've been doing more photography work, especially with sports and the D80's focus speed and system was becoming limiting. I also picked up a basketball gig in the fall, and needed better low lowlight performance. I needed a backup anyway, but felt I'd be giving up too much by going down a body (to the D60 or D40 series) and couldn't wait much longer for the D80's replacement and it probably wouldn't have given me everything I needed anyway. With the tax rebate check+my regular tax refund, I convinced my wife to let me invest in my growing business, and bit the bullet and got the D300. The $300 rebate on the 18-200 was icing on the cake. It's not my favorite lens, but the convenience factor will be nice when I want to travel light.

In 2-3 years I hope to move up to a pro level body (although some will argue the D300 is pro-level), either the D3 or it's replacement.
Hey,

Congrats on getting a gig! Nice to be able to start making some $ doing something you love.

As a "backup" I would either get the same camera or a better model using the existing as the "backup". Right now I'm just getting used to the D300. When I find the time. But have in the back of my mind thought how great it would be to either have a D200 or a second D300. One camera body with a wide-zoom (e.g. 17-55) and the other with a long lens (e.g. 70-300 VR or the 70-200 f/2.8...when they upg this with VR2...or Sigma 120-300). Less chance for dust entering the bodywhile in the field. And just more convenient.

But as it is, dealing with my sold home, lawyer, accountants...etc. I haven't had time to go shooting. Plus I'm one of those hobbyists that need a reason to go out shooting (e.g. multicultural street festivals, travel....etc.). I'm not like some of the guys here whofire off 50 a day or 3000 shots per weekend. So entertaining the thought of getting a second camera body is pretty low on my list.

I think I'll go pick up a VR 70-300 as a "temporary" lens while I wait for the 70-200 f/2.8 to be updated. Need a lens with some reach.

P.S. Steve should start an IRC #. I think it would be a great idea in addition to having this forum. I prefer immediate responses. This way you don't have to psot a question. Wait. Reply. Wait. Etc.