Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 22, 2008, 8:33 AM   #11
NHL

Depending on your budget, there's all the fast primes...
and then on to the various 70-200 f/2.8 (with ultrasonic) then followed by the 120-300 f/2.8
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 4:47 PM   #12

Nice lens choices, but with the $$ I dropped on the body, I'll get my spleen yanked out if I suggest a lens like either of those! I'm probably going to settle (for now at least) to get the Sigma 18-50 f/2.4 and the Nikon 55-200 f/4-5.6 VR lenses.
PLTommyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 6:22 PM   #13

Do you really need a spleen?
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 8:18 PM   #14

That's the beauty of getting a body like this...you've already done the hard part. The argument to use is "do you get a Ferrari and put a set of cheap tires on it" ...no. The same is true here, makes no sense buying a prosumer body and putting consumer level glass on it...if that fails, sell the spleen to raise the funds
goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2008, 12:48 PM   #15
Administrator

PLTommyO wrote:
Quote:
Recommendations?
What kind of shutter speeds were you getting using the Oly in the gym at ISO 800, and what aperture were you shooting at? Were most of the photos blurry with much subject movement? For high school or lower level gyms, you'll usually want an f/2 or brighter lens (which rules out zooms except for the two f/2.0 Zuiko zooms available for 4/3s, which are brighter than any zooms available for Nikon models) using around ISO 1600 to get shutter speeds up to around 1/400 second or so to help prevent most blur.

For the indoor action shots in a gym with a Nikon dSLR, your best bet is probably going to be something like a Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 AF lens if you can get close enough to use it. That would probably let you get away with relatively fast shutter speeds at ISO 1600. With an f/2.8 zoom, you may need to go to ISO 3200 for best results. With a slower zoom, you're going to need to go even higher (or risk more photos with blur from subject movement), unless lighting is better than I'd expect it to be. With a zoom that's even dimmer than f/2.8, I'd forget expecting to get many usable photos without blur. Keep in mind that an f/2.8 zoom is 4 times as bright as a zoom that only has f/5.6 available.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2008, 8:16 AM   #16

I just picked up the Tamron 70-200 2.8, and I love it. I took shots of a marching band competition at night under stadium lighting, and it was awesome. Combine that lens with the D300, shooting at ISO 3200, and you can set your shutter speed to 1/125 or maybe even a little faster. The D300 at ISO 3200 has virtually no noise. The pics that I took were sharper than those that I took with the D200 that I traded in for the D300, and the D200 got kind of noisy at ISO 1600. I have to give the D300 and the Tamron 70-200 F/2.8 both two big thumbs up.
JohnnyRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:11 AM   #17
Administrator

How responsive did you find the Autofocus using the Tamron? I've seen mixed reports about it, depending on the camera it's being used on. From what I understand, it's using a focus motor built into the lens Nikon mount for compatibility with the D40/D40x/D60 models.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:44 AM   #18

NHL wrote:
Quote:
The review is quite excellent however I would add several user comments which may be beneficial to someone reading up this thread:

1. The D300's EXPEED processor has auto Chromatic Aberration correction enabled all-the time so it will correct for some CA in 'sub-par' lenses.
2. One of the nicest feature I learned to love on this Nikon is the Auto-ISO feature: You just can't get a bad picture! Even on manual just dial the shutter speed and aperture and the camera will adjust the exposure correctly (you can customize and limit where it kicks in)
-> Every dSLR should have this!
3. Tricking the D300 into 9fps (up from 6fps) without the battery grip:
http://www.photomalaysia.com/forums/...ad.php?t=46611
http://sportsphotoguy.com/overclock-your-nikon-d300/
Re Every DSLR should have this.

My D40x has it. I believe the D60 also, I am not sure about the D90 though but I cant see them leaving it out on a dearer camera.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:59 AM   #19

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
I would think twice about those lenses. The 18-135 isn't bad, but it is prone to flare and has a noticeable degree of CA. The 70-300 was a lens I really like on my D80, but I've found it less useful on the D300. It is noticeably soft at longer lengths, and has weird bokeh on the long end as well. I think the extra resolution of the D300 brings out the worst in those two lenses. The 50 f1.8 is cheap and great, but I don't find the focal length all that useful...depending on your style you may get more mileage out of it.

I think the 18-200 is better than both those lenses and would cost you about the same. Better still, I'd look at the Tamron 17-50f2.8, and maybe one of the stabilized sigma long zooms.
Have you tried the Nikon 18-200 vr on the D300 with it's extra resolution ? also do you think the D90 with the same 12.3 mp resolution this lens would still be good?

I would be interested to know as either of these could be my next camera ( I hope) allowing for the way things are heading.

Thanks

deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2008, 4:02 AM   #20

deadshot wrote:
Quote:
rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
I would think twice about those lenses. The 18-135 isn't bad, but it is prone to flare and has a noticeable degree of CA. The 70-300 was a lens I really like on my D80, but I've found it less useful on the D300. It is noticeably soft at longer lengths, and has weird bokeh on the long end as well. I think the extra resolution of the D300 brings out the worst in those two lenses. The 50 f1.8 is cheap and great, but I don't find the focal length all that useful...depending on your style you may get more mileage out of it.

I think the 18-200 is better than both those lenses and would cost you about the same. Better still, I'd look at the Tamron 17-50f2.8, and maybe one of the stabilized sigma long zooms.
Have you tried the Nikon 18-200 vr on the D300 with it's extra resolution ? also do you think the D90 with the same 12.3 mp resolution this lens would still be good?

I would be interested to know as either of these could be my next camera ( I hope) allowing for the way things are heading.

Thanks

The extra resulution of 2 megapixel is not really important (for me it's not interesting)The D300 can shoot quiet well at higher ISO...and has faster focus. It's what they say: A D3 in DX format.

Personally I would go for a camera that can shoot at high ISO without much noise. Then a high mega pixel camera without good ISO /noise ratio. Imagine...you can still have handheld shot pictures without blurriness even when it's becomes darker. Or if you are in dark lit places... a camera is all about light.....

The question is....what features do you need on your camera: Focus speed? High ISO capabilities? movie mode? High resolution 20 Mega pixel or more because of landscape/studio shooting? The question is what do you like your camera to have?

The lens you mentioned will work on both of them...both are DX format camera bodies.
feetjai is offline   Reply With Quote