Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 2, 2008, 7:58 AM   #1
Administrator

See Steve's hands on review here:

Nikon D300

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2008, 8:32 AM   #2
NHL

The review is quite excellent however I would add several user comments which may be beneficial to someone reading up this thread:

1. The D300's EXPEED processor has auto Chromatic Aberration correction enabled all-the time so it will correct for some CA in 'sub-par' lenses.
2. One of the nicest feature I learned to love on this Nikon is the Auto-ISO feature: You just can't get a bad picture! Even on manual just dial the shutter speed and aperture and the camera will adjust the exposure correctly (you can customize and limit where it kicks in)
-> Every dSLR should have this!
3. Tricking the D300 into 9fps (up from 6fps) without the battery grip:
http://www.photomalaysia.com/forums/...ad.php?t=46611
http://sportsphotoguy.com/overclock-your-nikon-d300/
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 9:09 PM   #3

I do hope I'm not repeating what's already been asked about this unit. I am considering switching from Oly to Nikon. I like a lot on the E3, but the high ISO capabilities are poor and I find I am using 400 - 800 ISO often (the gym is poorly lit for my son's games) So .. the questions:

1) Does the D300 have image stabilization (in lens or in body)?

2) Is it really a .2 - 1second lag on pressing the shutter to capture? What am I missing??

3) Is the D300 weather-proof at all?

4) How does the dynamic range of the D300 compare to the E3?

5) Will my Oly lenses fit it? ;-)

Thanks!
PLTommyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 11:52 AM   #4

PLTommyO wrote:
Quote:
I do hope I'm not repeating what's already been asked about this unit. I am considering switching from Oly to Nikon. I like a lot on the E3, but the high ISO capabilities are poor and I find I am using 400 - 800 ISO often (the gym is poorly lit for my son's games) So .. the questions:

1) Does the D300 have image stabilization (in lens or in body)?

2) Is it really a .2 - 1second lag on pressing the shutter to capture? What am I missing??

3) Is the D300 weather-proof at all?

4) How does the dynamic range of the D300 compare to the E3?

5) Will my Oly lenses fit it? ;-)

Thanks!
1. Only with VR enabled lenses
2. There is little to no shutter lag. The D300 can capture up to 6 frames per second (up to 8fps with the grip)
3. Yes it is weather sealed...built like a small tank
4. I have no practical experience with the E3...by most accounts, it should be better
5. Not a chance
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 2:46 PM   #5

Thanks; I just got back from trying one out. Very nice unit. Feels incredible in my hands. Pretty pricey, but it's everything I've been looking for so now i just have to convince SWMBO to let me get it. I got a package price setup for the D300, 18-135 f/3.5 lens, and a 50mm f/1.8 lens for $2129; a 70-300 lens will add another $500 to that price tag. Gonna be a tough sell ....
Old Sep 20, 2008, 6:39 PM   #6

I would think twice about those lenses. The 18-135 isn't bad, but it is prone to flare and has a noticeable degree of CA. The 70-300 was a lens I really like on my D80, but I've found it less useful on the D300. It is noticeably soft at longer lengths, and has weird bokeh on the long end as well. I think the extra resolution of the D300 brings out the worst in those two lenses. The 50 f1.8 is cheap and great, but I don't find the focal length all that useful...depending on your style you may get more mileage out of it.

I think the 18-200 is better than both those lenses and would cost you about the same. Better still, I'd look at the Tamron 17-50f2.8, and maybe one of the stabilized sigma long zooms.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 9:24 PM   #7

Wow - thanks; I like the 18-200 Nikon lens with the built in image stabilization. Keeps me at the same price point but a much nicer lens. I'll likely head to the dealer next week to pick it up. Look for me trolling the Nikon site for how-to advice! Now ... any advice on how to convince the wife it's a great investment? :-)
Old Sep 20, 2008, 9:35 PM   #8

I checked Amazon for a Sigma lense with IS - I found this one for $428 - is this a good one you are talking about? Seems too cheap to be good!

Sigma AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS (Optical Stabilizer) Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
Old Sep 21, 2008, 7:16 AM   #9
NHL

IMO all the Nikon lenses you have selected are poor choices if "I find I am using 400 - 800 ISO often (the gym is poorly lit for my son's games)" as VR is not going to do you any good for action shots: i.e. the stabilization will not freeze any subject movement but a higher shutter speed will

For this you'll need fast lenses with large aperture (as there's no need for VR if the shutter speed is high enough to stop the actions) and all the lenses you have been contemplating are slow lenses with small apertures (forcing you to slower shutter speed), considering that most Oly zooms have wider aperture you are heading the wrong way... :?

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 10:17 AM   #10

Recommendations?