Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 24, 2003, 1:06 PM   #1

Default D100 concerns

I'll be getting a DSLR of some kind by the end of the year and need to clear up some issues. I've been a Nikon user for a long time and would like to stay with Nikon but all my lenses are manual focus so am pretty much forced to buy all new glass. So much for the F mount's backward compatibility. I can accept the fact that a $1,700 camera doesn't have some critical features like 100% viewfinder coverage and interchangable focusing screens but I'm concerned about issues with macrophotography because of lens issues and lack of mirror lockup.

Can I use a bellows setup for macrophotography and slide copying with the D100 and what are the limitations. For slide copying I'll need greater than 1:1 magnification so with my present equipment I'd take my 55mm f2.8 micro Nikkor and turn it backwards on a bellows. With my F3 and F2 I have stop down metering and can use TTL flash with the F3. Is that possible on a D100? What are the ramifications? Should I use a different arrangement with the D100? I'm also concerned about mirror shake at high magnification.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2003, 12:30 AM   #2

The D100 does have a mirror lock up for slow shutter speeds, or for when critical focus is needed and the slightest vibration might ruin it. As for using bellows, I believe you can, but all metering will have to be dialed in manually as you probably know. As for the flash working in ttl, if you dial in the exposure manually in-camera, the flash will use that information to determine light output (though w/o distance information since there won't be communication with the lens).
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2003, 8:41 AM   #3

There are people who will rechip old lenses to get them to work on the D100. It won't be perfect, but it will work. I don't have the link any more (I went Canon) but they do exist. Do some searching. If you can't find it, I'll dig around some more and see what I can turn up.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2003, 9:29 AM   #4

I had posted this link in the Fuji SLR forum a while ago, perhaps it could be of help:

http://www.aiconversions.com/compatibilitytable.htm

Was that the one you were talking about Eric?
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2003, 11:23 AM   #5

I looked at that link and it says nothing about "rechipping" just conversion of AI and pre-AI lenses. It says manual focus lenses can be mounted on a D100 body but there will be no metering. All my lenses are already AI-s so there's nothing he can do for me. This is a severe limitation in the D100 IMO. I can't meter with manual focus lenses, bellows and can only use third party extension tubes. All well and good if I can afford a D1x/h body but I can't.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 1:48 PM   #6

padeye

Could you give an example of a lens of yours that won't work with the D100?

Eric
Old Sep 25, 2003, 1:59 PM   #7
NHL

Eric

Look for the notes in the Compability chart. As for Padeye it looks like he has come to an interesting crossroad...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2003, 8:06 AM   #8

Actually, this is the link I was thinking of:

http://home.carolina.rr.com/headshots/Nikonhome.htm

Eric
Old Sep 26, 2003, 1:49 PM   #9

Well I've had a hard time getting straight answers but it appears any manual focus lens without a CPU conversion will not meter with a D100. None of my lenses are in his conversion list so that option is a dead end. It also appears the D100 can't be used with a bellows and still have TTL metering. TTL metering with flash or ambient light makes macro work a lot easier as you don't have to adjust for bellows factor each time you change focus.

This is very frustrating for me as I've always said Nikon has always had backward compatibility but that's not true. Canon abandoned their manual focus mount but at least it was a clean break. Nikon has backward compatibility only if you buy the high end bodies, F100, F5, D1/x/h D2h but not if you can only afford a D100 or N80.

Oh yeah, I have a nice Metz 45CL-4 potato masher. They have a Nikon E-TTL module for the D100 but it can't be used with that flash. Add to all that the fact that I don't think the D100 is worth $1,700. I've come to expect a few basic features after using an F2A and F3 for 20 years that the D100 doesn't have. It's enough to make me want to go to best buy and get a digirebel. It doesn't have all the features I want either but lens/extension tube/bellows compatibility isn't an issue and it costs half as much.