Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 5, 2008, 5:31 PM   #1

Hello . I had verygoodanswers / advice (thank you one andall )from the good folkhere:bye:ref Sigma 10-20 when I asked if it was a good lens on anouther forum hereat Steves! Anultra wide lensfor my D40.

Seems its the only ultra wide zoom thatworks on a D40 and fits my wallet.And as most said go for it, I went for it , Works fine on my D40 outdoors in sunny conditions, maybe a little soft though and so I think Im going to keep it .

So can I nowask about Flash with this lens used mostly at F8/11. I have used it with my Nikon SB 400 flash straight on and bouncedand at 10 /12 mm wide I get some drop off shadowsof even light at the bottom of the photo taken and severe dark portions on the bottom of the photo looks very bad uneven light LOL.

It is better than the inbuilt flash of course ,but not perfect, Would I do better changing the 1SO from200 but auto / variablemode though to a fixed say 400/800 ISO or do I need the MUCH larger 600 or 800 flash for a more even spread of light in my 25 ft room indoors. OR again is 10 or12mm wide with flash not really possible , BTW I dont want a multi flash solution just normal SB 400 I have now ,or bigger/600/800on camera thank you . Rodo UK.

rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2008, 6:06 PM   #2

The SB400 only covers about 18mm, so you'd only be able to use it on the 18-20mm end of the lens. The SB800 & 600 can cover down to 14mm. At the 10-13 length, no flash will give you full fram coverage. You could use a second flash off camera to fill in what's missing, but that's not really convenient. You could also try using the tupperware type diffuser to further spread the light, but there is still bound to be some falloff.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 7:53 PM   #3
Super Moderator

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
The SB400 only covers about 18mm, so you'd only be able to use it on the 18-20mm end of the lens. The SB800 & 600 can cover down to 14mm. At the 10-13 length, no flash will give you full fram coverage. You could use a second flash off camera to fill in what's missing, but that's not really convenient. You could also try using the tupperware type diffuser to further spread the light, but there is still bound to be some falloff.
I could be wrong but isn't the 18mm and 14mm coverage mentioned in 35mm terms so on a D40 the SB800/600 option would just give coverage as you have an equivalent of 15mm when the lens is at 10mm?!

However I still don't think the coverage would be even and personally I would look at an option to bounce the flash to diffuse it further in conjunction with one of the many Tupperware style attachments (omni bounce etc).
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 8:09 PM   #4

Forget store bought diffusers! Simply wrap a white handkerchief around your flash head. This will eat about 2 stops of light but it will spread the light and give you the best results you're going to get with the flash on camera.

If you already have a SB-400 and you're willing to fork out the money for a SB-600 or SB-800 than why not use both flashes? It's not as complicated as you think.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 8:22 PM   #5

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
I could be wrong but isn't the 18mm and 14mm coverage mentioned in 35mm terms so on a D40 the SB800/600 option would just give coverage as you have an equivalent of 15mm when the lens is at 10mm?!

However I still don't think the coverage would be even and personally I would look at an option to bounce the flash to diffuse it further in conjunction with one of the many Tupperware style attachments (omni bounce etc).
I think you're right!! I haven't really paid attention to this with my 10-20, as I typically use it outdoors, and really haven't needed to use the flash. It's second nature to think of lenses with the crop factor, but I haven't thought about flashes needing adjusting too. I am fairly certain though the coverage will not be even unless you bounce or use some sort of diffuser.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 8:53 PM   #6

The SB-600 and SB-800 have pull out diffusers that do a decent job of covering the Sigma 10-20mm at 10mm. The SB-800 comes with a diffuser. Bounce does a better job of lighting if the ceiling is low and white enough.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 10:14 PM   #7
NHL

rodo wrote:
Quote:
So can I nowask about Flash with this lens used mostly at F8/11. I have used it with my Nikon SB 400 flash straight on and bouncedand at 10 /12 mm wide I get some drop off shadowsof even light at the bottom of the photo taken and severe dark portions on the bottom of the photo looks very bad uneven light LOL.
IMO you'll need more than 2 flashes...

1. The flash effective distance decreases greatly (even with the SB800) when set to wide, and especially @ f/8 or more:

Attached Images

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 10:15 PM   #8
NHL

2. The distances differ between the center of the frame and the peripheral (i.e. light will fall-off proportionally with distance) so the flash(es) placements will be key
-> One flash will not work very well from the centrally placed location on camera! :idea:
(see note below from the same flash manual...). Bounced will probably be best but again pay attention to the GN

Attached Images

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 3:15 AM   #9

Hi and thank you all very very much for answers ref flash and 10-20 Sigma, Seems there is not a one flash on camera solution really if going that wide,

Halfsuspected there could not be oneeven using a 800 it seems . As always many fine minds and opinions and good advice, your all amazing thank you again,

I thinkSteves is onegreatplace to visit for friendly and sound advice , (I dont go to that other placeanymore deleted it from my favorites((( DPR :-x)))Too dark, toounfriendly, and too many dam rudenasties posting there most of them just want a fight and have no respect if you have a different opinion or dont have the camera they haveLOL. Thatis justmy opinion though andas they say "my opinion is worth exactly what you paid me for it "

Regards rodo uk..
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote