Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 21, 2008, 1:12 PM   #1

I've been looking at DSLR's for a long time now. I haven't bought anything because I'm just not sure.

I've always loved NIKON and that is my first choice. (Had Nikon SLR in the past). I've also used a Pentax slr and enjoyed it as well. I have some old lenses from back in the day, but not sure if they would fit. The lenses include:

Albinar 75-300mm zoom, Nikon Nikkor 24mm wide angle, 2x teleconverter, Nikon 52mm, and some filters and a Nikon speedlight flash. Would these fit any Nikon DSLR today?

I've been looking at the D80 for several months. The price tag is what has stalled my decision as I love the camera!

I've recently seen the D60 and have started looking at it too. I read that it had "stop action" video mode. What does that mean? I also read that the auto focus only works with newer lenses???

I would love to hear the differences between these cameras from a personal experience stand point. I have read the descriptions, but have no experience with either camera.
amy129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2008, 4:05 PM   #2
Administrator

Are these Autofocus lenses? If so, they'll work with the D80. But, you'd only have manual focus with them on a D60 if they're not AF-S lenses (unlikely).

If they are not Autofocus, you would not even have metering on any of these cameras. So, it's not really practical to use them on a Nikon body, unless you move up to the Nikon D200 or D300 (or higher end body like a D2x or D3).

The models you're looking at will not meter with non-CPU lenses (i.e., the vast majority of non autofocus lenses will not meter on the camera you're looking at). Even if they are Autofocus, the D60 would require using manual focus with them. Any of the Nikkor AF lenses would Autofocus with a D80 though.

I'd let members know more about the lenses.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2008, 11:01 AM   #3

Oops... sorry, it looks like I have put this in the wrong area. I didn't notice that I was in the P&S area for Nikon. I will go to the right area...

Thanks for your response.

amy129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2008, 12:57 PM   #4
Administrator

I moved it to our Nikon dSLR forum for you.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2008, 3:13 PM   #5

As stated old manual focus lenses will fit on the camera but their will be no metering. I don't agree however that "it's not really practical to use them on a Nikon body," It means you have to learn photography that's all. And be careful if they are the real old non-ai lenses they can damage the camera and must be modified first.

Auto focus lenses are another story. Again as mentioned only the new S lenses will auto focus on the D60. You can use them, metering will work, but you will have to manually focus. It is a little harder to manually focus an auto focus lens than it is a manual focus lens because they are geared different.

The flash will not be any good for TTL metering but you might be able to use it in manual mode. However you must first make sure the trigger voltage is not too high and is the right polarity.

"stop action" video mode is simply a feature that will take a series of stills and combine then into an animation saved in video format. A nifty feature but hardly something that would make me choose the camera over another sense it can be easily done on the computer with and animation software.

tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2008, 3:27 PM   #6
csd

A couple of other (less technical) items to consider:

1) Which camera feels better in your hands?
(If you are used to an SLR - the D60 will feel much smaller in your hands than the D60).
2) Can you live without the camera-top LCD display that shows your setting quickly/easily on the D80 if you go for the D60?
(I find this display extremely usefull on the D80 - it is a great way to check your setting quickly for ISO, exposure, etc. and see your settings change as you spin a config wheel).
3) Can you live with 3 Focus Brackets?
(I like to pick where to focus - on the D80 you have 11 to choose from - on the D60 you only have 3. Of course you can always focus then shift the camera - but I like the control of the 11 areas - also helps in full autofocus modes).
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 5:03 PM   #7

You are trying to compare 2 completely different DSLR's. I have the D60 and love it but it is not nearly as advanced as the D80. Personally beginning in DSLR I wanted a camera to begin to learn with and am happy with what I bought.
OrlandoRealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 7:20 AM   #8
csd

OrlandoRealtor wrote:
Quote:
You are trying to compare 2 completely different DSLR's.
Yes - that is exactly what we are doing - I think it is a fair question - and amy129 is certainly going through what a lot of us have gone through and is simply asking for opinions on the trade-off.
I don't think you can go wrong with either camera - just a matter of preference and whether or not you feel you need the extra features for the extra $$ - many will certainly say the extra $$ would be better spent on a lense upgrade rather than a body upgrade. In my case - I felt the extra features on the D80 would serve me well - and I have been very happy.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 9:23 AM   #9

I am also researching between D40/60 vs D80. I now using D200 mostly with micro VR105 for macro and VR80-400 for birding. I have Nikkor VR18-200 which I love and use it for walkng in the garden and when travelling. I would like to have another camera that is smaller and lighter than the D200 to fix to the 18-200. I also have a D50 that I used to like but the small screen and less user friendly menu compareto D200 make me looking for a more friendly and largergger screen one. Should I get D40x or D80? What about D90?
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote