Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 26, 2003, 11:28 PM   #1

Default Used Nikon Equipment

For many years when I was growing up, I bought used cameras and lenses. I guess it was all I could afford.

I'm trying to decide between the Nikon D1h, D100, or the Fuji S2, but I'm not really coming to any conclusions as to which is "better" for me. I started looking around for a place that sells used gear. Any suggestions? I know B&H has used equipment every so often. Any others?
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2003, 12:17 AM   #2

Default Re: Used Nikon Equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemyers
I'm trying to decide between the Nikon D1h, D100, or the Fuji S2, but I'm not really coming to any conclusions as to which is "better" for me. I started looking around for a place that sells used gear. Any suggestions? I know B&H has used equipment every so often. Any others?
First, try eBay because you can usually get a better price.
KEH www.keh.com also has a large collections of used and new cameras and lenses. Adorama may also be a place www.adorama.com Of course, don't forget your local used camera stores.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2003, 9:51 AM   #3

Thanks - Adorama didn't help very much, and while KEH didn't have what I want, they added something to my decision process.

Apparently if I want a D1, the price is now down to around $1300 or so, but the D1 is really old technology, and I'm pretty much no longer considering it.

If I want a D1h (which is what I think I'm getting closer to deciding on), the price is around $2300 used, which I can maybe afford. If I had already decided to go this way, I'd probably buy this one.

The D1x gets up to $3000, but I think (for action photography) the D1h is better for me, even if it has the lower resolution.

The D100 is "newer", and it will probably cost me $1700 or so unless I can find a used one. I know it's got a "plastic" body, but that means it'll be lighter. I remember how heavy my F4 used to get at the end of the day. I'm still trying to decide between this and the D1x (used).

Also on my list is the Fuji S2 Pro. I figured that it and the Nikon D100 are similarly priced, but the S2 has some nice features for me. It will be as light as the D100, and apparently it takes AA batteries, of which I've got a nice collection now thanks to my Olympus cameras. From what I read, the Fuji will probably do everything I need it to do, for the least money.

So, where does that leave me? I'm not sure. If I'm willing to spend between $1000 and $2500, do I go with the lowest cost (probably the Fuji), the new D100, or a used D1h (or x). If I were deciding right this minute, I'd probably call KEH and buy the used D1h for $2370. That, or spend a thousand bucks less, and get the Fuji, and use it until I can find/decide what I *really* want....
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote