Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Nikon dSLR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/nikon-dslr-57/)
-   -   D700 alert!! :) (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/nikon-dslr/143137-d700-alert.html)

DarkDTSHD Jun 27, 2008 10:21 AM

Hello guys,

Just found out that Nikon is planning to debut the D700. A D300 with the D3's FX chip. Exactly what I was hoping to see. A camera body the size of a D300 but with most ofthe abilities of the D3. Minus the extra pound of weight (with the D3's EN-EL4a batter) and thus with the option to add the portrait grip or not. If you can save weight any where on the camera why...

At a MSRP of $3300.00 I think that's more less fair price for a FX body camera. And to think I was just about to blow $1900 on a F6. Could always pick up a new F100 (or used) should I get the itch to shoot film again and want the AF abiity and metering system.

Any how see here for the blurb on the D700..
http://www.newlaunches.com/archives/...s_and_info.php

Just might find one under my Xmas tree this year. :)

runlikegump Jun 27, 2008 10:44 AM

Fake, they are not going to dillute the D300 offering yet

rjseeney Jun 27, 2008 12:08 PM

runlikegump wrote:
Quote:

Fake, they are not going to dillute the D300 offering yet
As far as rumors go, this one looks pretty solid. It's based on a leaked ad sheet from the factory where it will be made. Nikon's only comment is more info will be released soon. Most in the know are expecting an announcement Monday or Tuesday of next week.

I don't think a smaller, slightly less featured full frame camera (than the D3) will dilute the D300's sales. At almost twice the price, the serious amateur, sports, wildlife and all around shooter will stick with the D300, especially if they have alot of DX lenses. The D700 is for the pro with good FX glass, or the late digital pro converts. It may cut into D3 sales, but it will help Nikon get a better grip on the pro market.

I'll probably wait for the next generation of this camera before I go full frame. I just got a D300 that I haven't even scratched the surface of using to its fullest potential. I have mostly DX glass, so my next round of purchases will likely be some good FX glass.


DarkDTSHD Jun 27, 2008 1:06 PM

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:

runlikegump wrote:
Quote:

Fake, they are not going to dillute the D300 offering yet
********
As far as rumors go, this one looks pretty solid.* It's based on a leaked ad sheet from the factory where it will be made.* Nikon's only comment is more info will be released soon.* Most in the know are expecting an announcement Monday or Tuesday of next week.

I don't think a smaller, slightly less featured full frame camera (than the D3) will dilute the D300's sales.* At almost twice the price, the serious amateur, sports, wildlife and all around shooter will stick with the D300, especially if they have alot of DX lenses.* The D700 is for the pro with good FX glass, or the late digital pro converts.* It may cut into D3 sales, but it will help Nikon get a better grip on the pro market.

I'll probably wait for the next generation of this camera before I go full frame.* I just got a D300 that I haven't even scratched the surface of using to its fullest potential.* I have mostly DX glass, so my next round of purchases will likely be some good FX glass.

I'm with you RJ. I too doubt having a D700 would "dilute" the sales of the D300 at all. The D700 I think is Nikon's answer to the Canon 5D actually. To have a non-Pro body DSLR with a FF chip. Giving the pro or serious amateur more choice. Not every one will need the extra features the D3 will still have over the D700 and want to carry around the added weight. Flexibility will be one of the key selling features of the D700.

For me, I too haven't really used my D300 either. Been busy being in the process of selling my house. Buying a new one. Seeing my lawyer...etc. Will really start using it in July.

My little lens collection right now comprises only of one DX lens and one non-DX VR lens. But will be buying more as certain lenses become available. Of course. Such as the new Tokina 11-16 mm f/2.8. Should be out right now but supplies are not there. Yet. :)

Had a 28-70 f/2.8 FF lens but traded that in for a more useful DX 17-55.

Any how, hope to hear more info on the D700. Might not get it at Xmas now that I think about it. But likely in the Spring of 09. Assuming we see it this year. And that they don't postpone the debut date. When ever that is. :)

NHL Jun 27, 2008 2:58 PM

I don't know... Why D700 since it's not a very good match for your 70-200 f/2.8 VR? ;)
IMO it'll be interesting to see where the A900 pricing will fall with twice the resolution and Zeiss lens...

goomer Jun 27, 2008 3:18 PM

Aaahhhhhh!!!!! I'm waiting impatiently for word on a D80 replacement and this is what's next in the pipeline....gods of photography, hear my cries....give me a sign!

rjseeney Jun 27, 2008 3:56 PM

NHL wrote:
Quote:

I don't know... Why D700 since it's not a very good match for your 70-200 f/2.8 VR? ;)
IMO it'll be interesting to see where the A900 pricing will fall with twice the resolution and Zeiss lens...
One of the other rumors is the 70-200vr is due for replacement as it has issues on full frame and film bodies (notably corner softness). There is also talk that one of the other bodies to be announced is the hi mp D3x, rumored at 24mp. The other big rumor is a new top end speedlight, the SB900.

Quote:

Aaahhhhhh!!!!! I'm waiting impatiently for word on a D80 replacement and this is what's next in the pipeline....gods of photography, hear my cries....give me a sign!
I think this will be coming too, but you may not see an announcement on this until Photokina. Nikon seems to be focusing on the pro and semi pro market right now.

DarkDTSHD Jun 27, 2008 5:43 PM

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:

One of the other rumors is the 70-200vr is due for replacement as it has issues on full frame and film bodies (notably corner softness). There is also talk that one of the other bodies to be announced is the hi mp D3x, rumored at 24mp. The other big rumor is a new top end speedlight, the SB900.




I read about that issue too. In some DSLR test report iirc. Mentioned how the current version of the 70-200 f/2.8 is actually better suited to DX bodies.

And the current versiion is using 1st gen VR technology. Obvioiusly it's due for an update. Glad I waited. This way I'll be able to pick up the "right version". Supporting both the D700 and my D300 properly. Should make a good combo. :)

Question is WHEN will they hit the market? End of this year? Hmmm...

Also, I wonder where the D700 will be made. In Japan with the D3? I'd assume so. Makes sense to assemble cameras using the same FX platforum on the same assmbly line. If so this would be another plus for me. As I am admittedly a little biased towards electronics "Made in Japan". Even though we now know Thailand is very capable of putting out quality camera bodies (e.g. our D300's, D80's...etc.).

And for those that doubt the truthfullness of this news...see here...


http://nikonrumors.com/2008/06/18/mo...ew-lenses.aspx

http://nikonrumors.com/2008/06/26/sh...0-picture.aspx

Is the D700 ready? The photographer looks to have shot them at some show or press release party in China. Or did it take place in Japan but covered by a Chinese website? (Shrug). And the shot of the D700 in the 2nd link looks fairly legit imho. That or it's an amazing fake. :)



DarkDTSHD Jun 30, 2008 11:51 PM

Well guys it's offical now. The D700 will be shipping at the end of July. See here...

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...id=7-9311-9483

For more details, 14 sample pictures and a downlaodable brochure go to...

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Ni...5444/D700.html

Of course the Nikon USA site would have D700 information up already and not the Nikon Canada.

Now there's no doubt. :)

Hmmm...$3300.00 for us Canadians. Very tempting!!


nymphetamine Jul 1, 2008 3:44 AM

Common canon..bring us a 5d mark II so i can get a 5D for less than 1500 :)

No trolling..so cool guys.

terrific news for Nikonians. and i love the pricing. Below 3K and absolutely attractive. We know what D3 is capable of. So hail d700

Great job Nikon


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2