Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 28, 2008, 1:11 PM   #1

Hello. I've noticed that my new D40 has a tendency to a very slight magenta tone in no-flash shots, nothing that I can not correct later but it is a bit annoying. At first I suspected of my custom settings in mode P, but after doing some tests in auto, I still can see that. Any ideas or suggestions? Do you think camera has a defective adjustment or something?

Thanks!
artmustel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2008, 1:16 PM   #2
Administrator

It's probably just a white balance issue. Sometimes Auto White Balance can have issues in some lighting.

Try setting your white balance to match the lighting (for example, Sunny, Cloudy, Shade), or use a custom white balance (your camera has the ability to measure the temperature of the light you're shooting in from a photographic gray or white card, and apply it to images taken in that same lighting). Almost anything white can work in a pinch.

It could also be a monitor calibration issue (your monitor may not be displaying the colors accurately).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 1:26 PM   #3

If it's only slight, I doubt it's a camera problem. As JimC said, its likely a white balance issue. You may have also tweaked some of the picture settings..you can try reseting the camera back to default settings to see if that helps.

The 3 Nikon bodies I have owned (D50-D80-D300) all have varying tendencies to reddish skin tones, the D80 being the worst of the bunch which is in the same generation as the D40.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 1:42 PM   #4

Yes, it is very slight. Do you think that I should reset in order to make sure that my tweaks are not responsible for this? Since it also happened in auto I discarded that since I believe my setup would not affect auto. I will try your suggestion on WB first, then I will try a reset if nothing changes.

I doubt monitor is responsible since this does not happen with my Fuji S700, what do you think?

Thanks!!
Old Jun 28, 2008, 2:37 PM   #5

Your picture settings do show up in images taken in auto mode, so any tweaks will be there as well. Shooting RAW is the only way to get around camera settings having an effect on the final image. Resetting back to default will wipe all settings clean and give you a fresh start.

It could still be a monitor calibration issue too. You should calibrate your monitor to insure any prints you make match exactly what you are seeing on your monitor.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 3:18 PM   #6

I will do what you suggested and will post the results. Thanks!