Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 1, 2003, 10:26 PM   #1

Default open presidential position at Nikon Imaging

Article from Popular Photography & Imaging, October 2003 issue, page 52

"Digital SLR prices would continue to drop, but not to the level of film SLRs..."

Huh, the Digital Rebel w/ lens is already in the same price range as a new F100 w/o lens. Granted they are far apart in quality and professionalism, but he doesn't have a point anymore.

According to Kimura the recent D2h is an amateur camera... and future pro bodies will not be able to use the DX lenses. That's very nice. In one fell swoop he managed to amateurize the current PRO line of Nikon DSLR's, and also kill off the future of the DX line of lenses. Is this numbnut for real? How much did Canon pay him to say that? :roll:
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2003, 4:40 PM   #2

I don't t think that's what he said at all. *Future* pro DSLRs will be full frame. Remember the article said "future digital SLR plans." Every statement is put in future tense.

As for comparing the price of a digirebel and F100 I nearly injured myself laughing. How can you compare the most cheaply made DSLR and a high end pro film SLR and expect the prices to be similar? Have you handled both cameras? The digirebel is based on a plastic $300 film body. The F100 is a high end pro body that the D1 series is based on with all metal construction and environmental seals. In both cases the digital version cost at or above three times as much as the film body it's based on.

I would certainly like to see digital bodies get cheaper but I honestly don't expect them to get much lower than twice the price of a comparable film body in the forseeable future.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 9:21 PM   #3

I'm glad you got a good laugh out of that comparison, it was on purpose Yes, I've handled the F100 and a few days ago I handled the Digital Rebel (omg, it really is a toy! :lol. I know they are worlds apart, but both are SLR's. My next DSLR purchase won't be for a couple years now, and in the mean time a brand new F100 will find its way to my hands very soon...
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 2:46 PM   #4

Itís about time to replace the leadership at Nikon, for the last 9 months they have done nothing to compete in the digital imaging world until the newborn of the D2H, which I think they should release the D2X instead. You know people just canít wait forever; they will loose more market share. As a longtime Nikon film user (F5, F-100, FM2 SP), I made my decision 6 months ago to go with the Canon 10D for digital photography. For the fair comparison, there is no comparison between the Canon 1Ds and the Nikon D1X period. How about the D-100 against the 10D? Well, the 10D has many advanced technologies built in a better camera body (magnesium alloy vs. polycarbonate), DIGIT technology combines with CMOS produces less noise than the Nikon CCD, and the price on the 10D is still about $200 cheaper. You can laugh and loud as you can about the Canon Rebel digital, yes itís a toy, but a very practical toy, an easy decision for most average SLR users. Yes, itís cheap, plastic body, but itís also a logical investment for the beginners isnít it? Doesnít it have almost every features of any SLR? Does it produce good pictures? Yes, absolutelyÖso whatís going to happen? Canon will sell them like hot cakes, at the meantime? What is Nikon strategic plan? None ...zip... absolutely nothing... Iím just so sick and tire of listening to Nikon promised future plans, why talk and not take action?

Iím now already built-up a good collection of Canon L lenses, and everyday, I shoot with the Canon digital camera while my Nikon gear sit inside my closet collecting dust. Being said that I may someday give up all of my Nikon equipment if it really takes another 2 years for Nikon to replace their current D100.

Sorry if I offended any Nikon fans (I'm one of them, may be I just want to piss me off ), just considering this is my .02 centsÖ
8)
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 4:58 PM   #5

FWIW Nikon just dropped MSRP on the D100 so it matches the 10D, $1,499 so judge based on at least a zero (or near) price differential.

I'm agonizing over the 10D/D100 as I'll be buying one or the other by the end of the year. I was ready to buy a dRebel but won't after hearing reports of how badly the viewfinder image is misaligned compared to the sensor. I *want* to stay Nikon (F2A, F3 and a few lenses) but I'll go with whatever makes the best sense in the long run. I may have a couple of my manual focus lenses converted to CPU but I know I'll be making an investment in AF lenses as well. I've got to look out for my own interestes but I don't want to contribute to Canon becoming the Microsoft of DSLRs.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote