Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 11, 2008, 5:35 AM   #1

My D40 takes bright perfectly exposed shots coutdoors so happy with photosoutdoors , BUT indoors in a room lit well with normal lighting using the onboard flash theyreallyare toodark and are underexposed I presume ? :angry:

This saddark look/underexposed, well my old P&SA95 and F30 indoor flashpics are much better bright and not dark like the D40 that produces dim and dark shots ,:-?

Setting used are matrix ,200 iso but has the auto up to 800 plumbed in as well, lowest shutter speed 125 becauseI use a 18-200 lens, Aperture priority.at around 5.6 usually, distance from subjects people or cat photos4ft-6ft cats and aprox6-10 ft people shots,lens set around 18mm-50 mm mostly indoors, Please help I am really cheesed off and totally surprised about the D40onboard flash indoor results led to believe Nikon rules when it comes to flash photography:|Manythanks for your help/ solutionand any adviceRodo.UK.

" Great camera site Steve !and helpfull folk in this Forum"

rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2008, 9:25 AM   #2

Rodo, i don't know if you have the exposure compensation set to -0.7 as default. If so, did you remember to put it back to 0?

I've noticed that the EV at -0.7 works well for outside, bright sunlighted scenes only.
artmustel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:25 AM   #3

No I made sure it was atO Ido use -1/3 outside most times in dull uk weather .
Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:33 AM   #4

rodo wrote:
Quote:
No I made sure it was atO Ido use -1/3 outside most times in dull uk weather .
I didhave a think today:? and wondered probably wrongly ifhaving it set at iso 200 with the auto up to 800 option on ,i f the auto iso to 800was upsetting things or not

evenraising the isoup from 200 if thats whats needed when the flash was being used,and ifI set say just 400 and flash ,and NO auto option on,would thatbe the answer:idea:. but not home to try that for few days Rodo uk.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 1:27 PM   #5

If using flash, I would turn auto ISO off. Your shutter speed of 1/125 is really too fast. If using flash, you could be at 1/60 which would allow some of the ambient light to help balance your exposure. The flash will freeze the motion, so you don't have to worry as much with camera shake. I would shoot in Aperture priority, wide open and let the camera the rest.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote