Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 3, 2003, 9:48 PM   #1

Default D100 Owners - HELP Please ??

I am considering purchasing the D100. Reading lots of reviews and forums I have noticed that lots of people are saying the following about the D100. Resolution and color are excellent but images are consistently under-exposed by a stop or two and images are very soft in the Auto sharpening setting in JPEG format. I am an amateur photographer and not sure what this means? Is this true and how can it be corrected by someone who has no clue on how to use Photoshop (or any other photo editing software)? :?:
agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2003, 10:28 AM   #2

Default two options...

Yes it is true about the underexposed pictures on the D100, you have two options, the easy one is to use something called curves, (many of them avalaible on internet) you need to research about it to understand, but it is a process of one time, once that you are satisfied the way the camera takes the pictures you don't need to modify anything, and the second option is to overexpose all your pictures by one or around one f-stop. I consider that you don't need to worry about it, you will find some automated software options to modify the way the camera takes the information, even if you don't have photoshop or you don't know how to use it. But remember that one of the nicest things about digital is the power of edition of your pictures!!!, you will enjoy your D100 camera!!!
jcarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 12:14 AM   #3

I shoot the D100 and just set the level curve every time in PHotoshop. It's a hastle. I which I could get the curve software that the other person who responded to your original question spoke of and set it permanently on the camera. I do love the camera though.
mbuonanno@alum.mit.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 6:41 AM   #4

I use RAW on my D100 and deliberately set it about half a stop underexposed in manual mode with matrix metering.

I don't use JPEG, as RAW gives you much more data and subsequent control. It's also fast enough for short bursts of photos if you need them.

You can then adjust the overall exposure and curves in Nikon Capture. Works a treat. You can do your image sharpening there as well.

It's a lovely camera. Hope you enjoy using it as much as I do.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 4:06 PM   #5

I can't use Raw in the D100 for event photography, the acquistion speed slows to a crawl if I take three shots. Wish I could though.
mbuonanno@alum.mit.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 10:41 PM   #6

Default The software

In response to the question about setting curves on the camera, you need to have de software from nikon, called nikon capture, you also can download a trial version, you only need to keep in mind that after expiration day of the trial period you are not going to be able to change the curve setting in your camera if you need to, but at least you can try the software to see the way it works, try to learn from the nikon web site about the software, it has a lot of good features.
jcarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 12:23 PM   #7

Default Re: The software

Just a quick clarification on this point. While it is true that you won't be able to change the custom curve that you have uploaded if you don't own the software, you will still be able to specify which curve in your camera you want it to use by choosing one of the standard curves or your now immutable custom curve in the color curve menu....

Regards,
<TED>

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarq
In response to the question about setting curves on the camera, you need to have de software from nikon, called nikon capture, you also can download a trial version, you only need to keep in mind that after expiration day of the trial period you are not going to be able to change the curve setting in your camera if you need to, but at least you can try the software to see the way it works, try to learn from the nikon web site about the software, it has a lot of good features.
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 4:28 PM   #8

[email protected]

Do you use compressed or uncompressed RAW? uncompressed writes much faster... but not owning a D100, I can't say how much faster or if the behavour only describes uncompressed.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 6:36 PM   #9

When I use RAW, I use uncompressed. Compressed is just too slow. A 256 meg CF card is about like a 24 exposure roll of film when shooting uncompressed RAW...

Actually, I use high quality (minimum compression) JPEG quite a lot and find it a pretty decent medium for me...

<TED>

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
[email protected]

Do you use compressed or uncompressed RAW? uncompressed writes much faster... but not owning a D100, I can't say how much faster or if the behavour only describes uncompressed.

Eric
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 6:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
Do you use compressed or uncompressed RAW? uncompressed writes much faster... but not owning a D100, I can't say how much faster or if the behavour only describes uncompressed.Eric
I use uncompressed RAW all the time. Compressed takes about 2 x as long to write and read.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote