Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 15, 2008, 7:27 PM   #1

Hello,
I am regularly in the Pentax forum as I shoot a K20d for recreation. However, in my occupation I am the commander over a detective and crime scene bureau. Our crime scene unit uses Nikon cameras (currently D70) in the field, but in the lab we are still using an ancient Polaroid land camera at a copy station for duplicating and enlarging fingerprints and photographing small pieces of evidence.

At $1.00/shot, I would like to upgrade that copy station to digital and it makes the most sense to stay with Nikon rather than have a mix of cameras. I know that Pentax has software that allows tethered shooting with the camera hooked to a PC. I assume that Nikon has something similar but I am not sure which cameras will work in this mode and how exactly it works. Hopefully someone on this forum has experience with tethered shooting.

I would be grateful if someone could tell me:
What Nikon cameras support tethered shooting?
When using tethered shooting, can you see the live view on the computer screen or can you only see the shot after you have taken it?

If we make the switch, the camera and macro lens will be set up on a copy stand pointing down. The only way to look through the view finder, or at the rear LCD, would be to stand on a step stool. If live view shows on the computer screen that would be perfect and would allow crime scene techs to focus easily. Option B would be to use a Sony A 350 with the tilting LCD screen but if I am going to convince my office to switch brands, it will have to be Pentax (bwa ha ha ha) :-).

Thanks for any help,
Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:55 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I thought it could be done but wasn't sure so a quick google search gave me http://terrywhite.com/techblog/?p=528

With the D300 you have to use the additional Nikon software but you can do it. Or you can use the AV out to go to a tv to see what the camera is seeing. This is what they use in this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSABJjmk-gIwhen you look see what the camera is seeing.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 6:04 AM   #3

Thank you very much Mark, that helps send me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 6:44 AM   #4

There is Nikon software you have to buy to tether you camera to a computer. I'm not sure what it is called anymore, but I'm sure you can find it on the Nikon site. I used to have a D70 and I remember having downloaded the trial version to try it out. As I recall, the picture would only display on the computer after you took it, but I could be wrong on that part.

Mike
mdparker04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 12:51 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Hi Tim,

You are more than welcome, I hope it does what you need without having to get new lenses, but I think it will. OK, I know it's not a Pentax LOL.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 9:03 PM   #6

Hello,

I shoot an artist canvas painting on a regular basis. I always shoot tethered to a laptop computer for fast storage of the shots and nice view of my histograms. I use both a Nikon D200 and D300 for this work. The computer program is Camera Control Pro 2. You do not need this latest version since your using a D70. Once you shoot tethered you will enjoy it very much.

Hope it helps and if you have any questions just let me know.

Cheers,
Bill
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote