Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 28, 2002, 10:04 AM   #1

Default D100 vs D60 vs S2

Steve,

I'm in the market for another digital camera. I have no compatible lens. I currently have a Nikon 5000. I used it on a professional job outdoors and I feel I need to move up to one of the 3 cameras mentioned in the subject line. I was pretty set on getting the D100, but two things caused me to reconsider. One the D100 does not have a ISO 100 equivalent and two I don't know how big a problem that dust particles on the CCD will be.

Did you notice any additional noise between the Nikon ISO 200 photos and the ISO 100 photos from the D60 and the S2? I hate to put you on the spot, but it's not likely that other members will have been fortunate to have tried all three makes.

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2002, 11:54 AM   #2

Default Why spend $10,000?

Are you SURE you want a dSLR at all? To take advantage of any dSLR you need to plan to buy LENSES. These are very expensive.

If all you do is buy a dSLR and a zoom, you may be better of with the 5700. If you buy a dSLR and a reasonable set of lenses, you should rememebr that the cropping artefact in these cameras means you can not buy the equivalent of a 28mm at all! You will proabably want a 28 mm (~ 35mm equivalent to standard 35), (50mm ~75mm, and 100mm ~150mm).

Good luck!
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2002, 2:11 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by wsandman1
I was pretty set on getting the D100, but two things caused me to reconsider. One the D100 does not have a ISO 100 equivalent and two I don't know how big a problem that dust particles on the CCD will be.

Did you notice any additional noise between the Nikon ISO 200 photos and the ISO 100 photos from the D60 and the S2?

Bill

Dust particles is a problem with all dSLR cameras. Small spots are easily handled in Photoshop with the clone tool. If you get enough of them or larger things on the CCD then you need to clean it or have it done professionally. Fuji and Kodak recommend the use of the <a href="http://www.photosol.com/swabproduct.htm">Sensor Swab</a> which is by far the best way to safely clean an imager.

There's also the <a href="http://www.kinetronics.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.100.exe/online-store/scstore/speckgrabber_product.html?L+scstore+vnlf2383ff7f45 7f+1028763048">Speck Grabber</a> for removing individual "dust boogers" safely.

As for the D100 at ISO 200 - it is simply the low end of its sensitivity range and offers the same noise-free images as other cameras at ISO 100.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2002, 2:24 PM   #4

Steve

when will the 5700 review appear?
Old Jul 28, 2002, 3:13 PM   #5
Administrator

The full Coolpix 5700 review has been online for almost a week now.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_...nikon5700.html

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2002, 10:20 PM   #6

Default Review news?

Oh ...

I had been checking the breaking news. I did not see a notice there. I thought you always notified us with a bit in the BN!
Old Jul 29, 2002, 3:38 PM   #7

Give the guy a break!!! I think steves doing a great job and with all these new camera's need reviewing, I think we are all going to have to wait!
ashenfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 1:56 AM   #8

Default Original post was dust in digital CCD?

I've had my Fuji S1 for about 1-1/2 years now and yes, I cleaned the CCD with compressed air only. Yes, I've had specks that looked like garbage can lids!
Yes, I change lenses all the time but I carefully use "Dust-Off" and lens tissue, bulb, for cleaning. No problems so far....

Fuji S2 should arrive tomorrow about noon!
M. Haner is offline   Reply With Quote