Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 7, 2003, 12:10 AM   #1

Default Digital SLR format for 8x 10 printing driving me crazy.

The D100 has a 3000 x 2000 pixel CCD for the most part. That's a 1.5:1 ratio. This ratio is causing me problems with every other format than 4x6 prints. I shoot wedding and events- nobody wants 4x6 for events.

I have this problem. No matter how hard I tryto get more image than I need, that is, extra image for cropping for 8 10's, I tend to make photo's with my D100 that almost fill the frame anyway.

I'm so used to framing the subject just right in the camera that I can't get myself to step back or to zoom out enough so that when I try to make an 8x10 I'm loosing significant portions of the brides dress, etc as the Nikon D100 CCD is at the largest setting set at 4x6 ratio and not 8x10 ratio. Does anyone know how to solve or help eliminatin this problem? If I do step so far back I get pretty bad resolution when I try to blow up for detail so that's lame too.

I'm stuck trying to get the format closer to 8 x10 or maybe I should think of printing another size. The current size ratio of 4:6 which translates to 6.666:10 or 6.7" x 10" for the existing CCD. This is frusttrating me. Medium format digital exists but at $15k for a camera. All the prefabed wedding albums are for 8x10 inserts or 10 x 10. Either way it seems the Digital SLR ratio is a tough fit.

Any way to get a camera that's better to go than the D100 on the format thingie. It's really a hastle.

Anybody solved this? :evil:
mbuonanno@alum.mit.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2003, 11:30 AM   #2

Honestly I dont have this problem, but what struck me, reading your problem was, that it would be easier to buy a frame that will fit the photo - than buying a new digicam!!!

Seriouly, I always leave a small edge around the framing, when I shoot the photo. This will make it much more easier to edit and handle for printing afterwards. (but I see your problem - no reshooting possible, right!)
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 11:33 AM   #3

You will have this formatting issue in ALL digital and film cameras.

Canon 1DS, Kodak 14N (Any Full Frame 24mmx36mm) = 1.50
Nikon D100 = 1.50
Canon 1D = 1.61
Canon D30 or D60 = 1.50

Frame Sizes:
11x17 = 1.54
8x10 = 1.25
5X7 = 1.40

My suggestion to you is when you are shooting, keep in mind you may need to crop to fit specific frame sizes. So shoot slightly wider than you think you need to accommodate this issue, then crop as necessary.
JoeSlotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 3:53 PM   #4

Okay, I agree with you. The issue is when I step back the detail is lost but more than that I can't really be sure that it will make the format and I'm just guessing. Is there a little insert that I can put in the camera. I think this is really difficult and I can 't find a really good answer. But I should think a format closer to 1.5 like 4x6" or 8 x 12 would be one direction for the photoalbum producers.
mbuonanno@alum.mit.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 11:47 AM   #5

mbuonanno,

Sorry, there is no insert that does what you ask. I can't see you losing that much detail unless you are going WAY too far back. Keep in mind, you are just adding enough background so you can crop it properly. Its something you just have to learn, otherwise custom sized frames are in your future.

Photographers have been doing this for ages, going digital changes nothing (except making it easier to do it yourself).
JoeSlotz is offline   Reply With Quote