Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 7, 2003, 7:36 AM   #1

Default Nikon SB-50DX vs. SB-80DX for D100 ??

I am shopping around for a Nikon speedlight (no slaves) for the D100? Does one have any advantage/disadvantage over the other (e.g. performance, power, D-TTL issues, etc...)?
agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2003, 11:25 AM   #2

having a powerfull digicam, you should by a powerfull flash.

I'd go for SB-80DX

(you can find my opinion on the flash on my website below)
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 3:26 PM   #3

I'll second Klaus's remarks on that. Get the SB 80DX. It is an awesome unit that does everything but cook hot dogs...

<TED>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus DK
having a powerfull digicam, you should by a powerfull flash.

I'd go for SB-80DX

(you can find my opinion on the flash on my website below)
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 3:43 PM   #4

stay away from the SB-50, it uses expensive batteries, sometimes it hard to find battery replacement if you're on the road. SB-80 DX is a great choice.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 7:13 AM   #5

I have the SB80DX. Its a very powerful flash with features out the wazzoo! Its well worth the price difference. You will not be disappointed.
JoeSlotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 1:03 PM   #6

I had SB80dx, pretty good for both D1h and D100.

I will say "if you noticed sb-80dx has mode FP then Nikon d100 will not support sb-80DX mode FP from Manual flash. FP work with D1H or D1x or D2h because high speed flash sync.

But great flash.
polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 6:02 PM   #7

I bought a SB-50 as a back-up for my N-80's before my D-100 arrived in my life ( a great day). I'm going to replace it with the SB-800 due to a lack of power. Battery life has never been a problem.
bgpro611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 10:28 PM   #8
Red

The SB 50DX does a great job for "normal" photos. Some are only going to use the on-board flash. If you want something better than the camera flash, the SB 50DX could fill the bill. For the difference in price, you could buy a decent lens. So which do you need, the most powerful flash or another lens?
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 8:30 PM   #9

Default Double Bounce Flash ???

Picked up my D100 tonday and a SB50 - all they had in stock and need it for tomorrow - been playing with and love the camera, but for the life of me I can't get the flash on the D100 and the SB50 to fire at the same time. The SB50 recognizes that the flash on the camera is there and won;t fire. Anyone had any luck with this that might be able to tell me what I am doing wrong?
rbhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 11:01 AM   #10

Default Re: Double Bounce Flash ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbhayes
I can't get the flash on the D100 and the SB50 to fire at the same time. The SB50 recognizes that the flash on the camera is there and won;t fire.
Does the camera recognized the flash when you look into the viewfinder (the little lighting sign on)? try to clean the contact on the camera hot shoe and the flash shoe too, re-attach an fire some test shots. Well, take the camera and flash to the store, try that flash on other D100, if it works on them and not on yours, you have a defective camera, if it does fire on any of the camera, you have a defective flash.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote