Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 22, 2008, 10:21 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 23
Default

Hello-

Please help yourself to any or all the questions below, I've read the reviews from various places but haven't been able to answer these questions.

I'm leaning toward a D300 purchase but have a few questions that probably can be easily answered by anyone who is currently using one.

1) Can the self cleaning sensor be turned off? Obviously not needed everytime the camera is powered up when rarely changing lenses, especially if your looking for a fast power-up.

2) When the camera is not powered-up can you see through the veiwfinder? I would very much like to see through a veiwfinder without having to power-up everytime.

3) Which brand compact flash card is the best for the D300, fastest?

4) Whats the difference between the CF Type I & II?

5) Whats a microdrive? Better then using a CF card?

I'm anticipating going with the Nikkor 12-24mm & 18-200mm stabilized zooms. Any reason to consider alternative brands here?

Thanks for any & all replies...

Robes :O

Robes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2008, 3:30 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
goomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kamloops, B.C.
Posts: 378
Default

Robes wrote:
Quote:
Hello-

Please help yourself to any or all the questions below, I've read the reviews from various places but haven't been able to answer these questions.

I'm leaning toward a D300 purchase but have a few questions that probably can be easily answered by anyone who is currently using one.

1) Can the self cleaning sensor be turned off? Obviously not needed everytime the camera is powered up when rarely changing lenses, especially if your looking for a fast power-up.

Yes it can, under the Setup Menu.

2) When the camera is not powered-up can you see through the veiwfinder? I would very much like to see through a veiwfinder without having to power-up everytime.

Yes you can.

3) Which brand compact flash card is the best for the D300, fastest?

UDMA cards... Sandisk Extreme 4 , Lexar Professional, etc.

4) Whats the difference between the CF Type I & II?

Size mostly, most flash based cards are Type 1...microdrives are usually type 2


5) Whats a microdrive? Better then using a CF card?

Basically a mini hard drive...slower than flash based CF, among other issues.

I'm anticipating going with the Nikkor 12-24mm & 18-200mm stabilized zooms. Any reason to consider alternative brands here?

Lots of factors go into your lens choices, I would say do a lot of research and proceed slowly.
Good luck!

Thanks for any & all replies...

Robes :O
goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2008, 4:02 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 23
Default

Thanks for your reply goomer, much appreciated...
Robes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2008, 12:50 PM   #4
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,529
Default

Robes wrote:
Quote:
I'm anticipating going with the Nikkor 12-24mm & 18-200mm stabilized zooms. Any reason to consider alternative brands here?
This part confuses me. I don't understand paying for a top of the line DSLR and using a consumer grade lens (18-200) on it. It's a very good lens - for what it is. But it's like buying a Porsche and putting good-year all-season radials on it. Both the Porsche and the all-season tires are good products, they're just a strange fit together. Same here. In many aspects of photography, the lens contributes much more to picture quality than the camera.

Now - before people jump down my throat about how great the 18-200 is. The question is: compared to what? If you've got a good amount of experience with some of Nikon's better glass and still think the 18-200 is a good fit - that's great. But if you've never used the better glass I might suggest you don't know what you're missing - especially paired with a camera like the D300.

So I guess what I'm really asking is: if you're willing to settle for the performance all-season tires give you, does it really make sense to buy the Porsche and limit it?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2008, 5:30 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 23
Default

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Robes wrote:
Quote:
I'm anticipating going with the Nikkor 12-24mm & 18-200mm stabilized zooms. Any reason to consider alternative brands here?
The question is: compared to what? If you've got a good amount of experience with some of Nikon's better glass and still think the 18-200 is a good fit - that's great. But if you've never used the better glass I might suggest you don't know what you're missing - especially paired with a camera like the D300.

So I guess what I'm really asking is: if you're willing to settle for the performance all-season tires give you, does it really make sense to buy the Porsche and limit it?
Great point. I guess I thought these were Nikons best, if you could suggest something or where I could see compatable lenses that would cover this range I will certainly like to read on them.
Robes :O
Robes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2008, 9:03 PM   #6
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,529
Default

Well, if you want 200mm then the AF-s 70-200 2.8

Wide angle: 17-55 Nikor 2.8 or 24-70 2.8

Ultrawide - the lens you've chosen gets good marks.

A lot more expensive? You bet. Do you need all 3? only you can decide. And, even if you don't want the shorter 2.8 lenses. I'm sure some of the more seasoned nikon shooters can advise on a mid-range zoom in 4-5.6 range that would easily outperform the 18-200.


JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2008, 10:00 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 23
Default

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Well, if you want 200mm then the AF-s 70-200 2.8

Wide angle: 17-55 Nikor 2.8 or 24-70 2.8

Ultrawide - the lens you've chosen gets good marks.

A lot more expensive? You bet. Do you need all 3? only you can decide. And, even if you don't want the shorter 2.8 lenses. I'm sure some of the more seasoned nikon shooters can advise on a mid-range zoom in 4-5.6 range that would easily outperform the 18-200.

Thanks for the info....
Robes is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:53 PM.