Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 23, 2008, 1:09 AM   #1

1. Is it made in Japan? I don't suppose you could take a picture of the bottom and post it? Yes I know...odd request. Humor me.

2. New to the D700 is a "Virtual Horizon" circular display while in Live View. Is this also visible through the viewfinder?

Thanks.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2008, 8:04 AM   #2

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
1. Is it made in Japan? I don't suppose you could take a picture of the bottom and post it? Yes I know...odd request. Humor me.

2. New to the D700 is a "Virtual Horizon" circular display while in Live View. Is this also visible through the viewfinder?

Thanks.
1. Initial production run for setup and training is in Japan. Long term continued production is slated for Thailand. Likely, any newly made D700, has been produced in Thailand.

2. Yes, the virtual horizon feature is visible in the viewfinder. The D700 added this feature to live view as well..the D3 only has the virtual horizon feature in the viewfinder.

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 2:00 AM   #3

There has to be a few D700 owners on this forum? Could one of you please take a shot of the bottom of your D700? I've read other threads on the same topic and one owner says that his D700 was definitely made in Japan. So if you could just take a shot...appreciated!
Old Aug 28, 2008, 7:07 AM   #4

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
There has to be a few D700 owners on this forum? Could one of you please take a shot of the bottom of your D700? I've read other threads on the same topic and one owner says that his D700 was definitely made in Japan. So if you could just take a shot...appreciated!
That is probably true. I don't know what the initial production run for the D700 was, but it was all made in Japan. So, you could likely still find a Japan made D700 out there. I'm not sure when production is supposed to switch over, but if it hasn't already, it will soon. So if getting a Japan made D700 is a necessity, you should act sooner than later.

I'm not suprised there aren't many D700 owners on this forum. There never has been much talk about pro-level bodies on this forum...the D300 and D200 seem to be the upper limit. The pro shooters tend to gather elsewhere.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:07 AM   #5

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
That is probably true.* I don't know what the initial production run for the D700 was, but it was all made in Japan.* So, you could likely still find a Japan made D700 out there.* I'm not sure when production is supposed to switch over, but if it hasn't already, it will soon.* So if getting a Japan made D700 is a necessity, you should act sooner than later.

I'm not suprised there aren't many D700 owners on this forum.* There never has been much talk about pro-level bodies on this forum...the D300 and D200 seem to be the upper limit.* The pro shooters tend to gather elsewhere.
Are you sure Nikon plans to switch over the production of the D700 to Thailand (or out of Japan) soon? Can I ask you where you got this information?

If this is true. You're right. Then I better pick-up my D700 sooner than later.

And I never noticed that about this forum. That pro DSLR bodies are usually not discussed. I would have assumed all DSLR models would be talked about in any forum. The entire product line of a particular manufacturer's.

Any how I guess I better contact some sales people. That or take a chance with the D700's replacement and hope it's still "Made in Japan". If this switch over doesn't occur. It isn't a deal breaker if the next version of the D700 isn't but if it was for me it would be icing.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 3:10 PM   #6

I've seen this in several places, most recently here http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...p;changemode=1

I'm not saying its a problem that the pro bodies aren't discussed. I honestly can't remember ever talking about any of the pro bodies in 4 years of participating on these forums. Even the D700 hasn't been discussed much. I guess the average Steves visitor is a consumer to advanced amateur using consumer to prosumer equipment.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 3:59 PM   #7
NHL

Why would a country of manufacture make any difference since a machine assemble the darn thing?

If any I'd be more confident in getting a product from a certified manufacturing line with the proper QA in place than an initial run where bugs and glitches are still being work out... :-)

-> I can bet you the parts that go into the camera came from all over the world already!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 4:19 PM   #8

NHL wrote:
Quote:
Why would a country of manufacture make any difference since a machine assemble the darn thing?

If any I'd be more confident in getting a product from a certified manufacturing line with the proper QA in place than an initial run where bugs and glitches are still being work out... :-)

-> I can bet you the parts that go into the camera came from all over the world already!
I agree. To my knowledge, I've never seen any credible information that Nikon cameras manufactured in Japan last longer, or are better assembled than ones assembled in Thailand or China.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 5:22 PM   #9

Some how I knew this thread would end up a "made where ever is ok vs made in Japan is better" thread. So all I'm going to say is if NHL is right then why has Nikon manufacturing the D3/D700 and all PRO glass ONLY in Japan? Spending all the money they did and will continue to do so to build and maintain the Sendai plant. Hmmm...
Old Aug 29, 2008, 7:51 AM   #10
NHL

Quote:
Hmmm...
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/china.htm

"Thus if Nikon's manufacturing engineers decide they can build a better product in Thailand, they make it in their very own factory there to their own standards. You or I trying to guess quality from where it's made clouds the real issue: how well it works.
You are far better off looking at the images made by a camera or lens and not wasting time looking where the "made in" sticker says."
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote