Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 8, 2003, 7:25 AM   #1

Default Curves for D100 ??

I am new to digital photography and D-SLRs. I am considering purchasing the Nikon D100. I keep reading about underexposure and curves. What are curves? Are these uploaded and used on a computer (Photoshop, Capture, etc...) or are they actually uploaded to the D100? If uploaded to the D100, can they be cancelled, by-passed, overwritten, etc...? How easy are they to use for a newbie to D-SLRs? This is the last item on my "consideration list" before deciding whether or not to purchase the D100. If the process is too complicated, I might decide to go for the Canon Digital Rebel (EOS-300D). So help me before I make that "mistake". :?:
agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2003, 8:28 AM   #2

It's well known that D100 underexpose it's pictures. I like this and have not found a better curve that the ones already in D100.

On my website you can download a few of these curves.

A curves is just a way of changing this intended underexposure. You can make them yourself in NC.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 12:19 PM   #3

Default Re: Curves for D100 ??

Well, if you have to ask, you probably don't use Photoshop or Nikon Capture. The curves are a representation of the histogram of an image. You can change the curves to change the makeup of the image. The top of the curve represents the light end of the spectrum, the middle the middle and the bottom the dark end of the spectrum.

OK, now curves for the D100. You can use a custom curve in Photoshop or Nikon Capture or you can upload it to your camera and use it in the camera. The color curve options in the camera offer about 5 standard curves and one spot for a custom curve. You upload the curve (takes a few seconds using Nikon control) and then you designate the custom curve as your choice in the color curve menu. You can change from your custom curve to one of the built in curves in about 2 seconds if you are reasonably good with your menus. It is quite feasible to take a shot with one curve and switch to another for a follow on shot.

If this is all greek to you, take a look in your manual in the menu section dealing with color curves and try using the various built in curves to see how they work. (The default is auto so you don't know which curve has been chosen by the camera when you take a picture if you are using the default). If, after working with the available curves, you still think a custom curve might help you, try http://www.planetneil.com/nikon/d100-customcurves.html for more information and some custom curves that you can upload...

I hope this helps!

<TED>

Quote:
Originally Posted by agiaccio
I am new to digital photography and D-SLRs. I am considering purchasing the Nikon D100. I keep reading about underexposure and curves. What are curves? Are these uploaded and used on a computer (Photoshop, Capture, etc...) or are they actually uploaded to the D100? If uploaded to the D100, can they be cancelled, by-passed, overwritten, etc...? How easy are they to use for a newbie to D-SLRs? This is the last item on my "consideration list" before deciding whether or not to purchase the D100. If the process is too complicated, I might decide to go for the Canon Digital Rebel (EOS-300D). So help me before I make that "mistake". :?:
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote