Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 24, 2008, 9:46 AM   #1

I'm looking at buying a D40, I noticed it's lowest ISO is 200. Is this a problem for anyone? My film camera goes down to 25 and my P&S digital goes down to 50.

Was wondering what ISO you guys normally used who own the D40.
izzy181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2008, 3:00 PM   #2

No this isn't a real problem. If you're trying to shoot silky waterfalls in bright sunlight, it may cause issues. But for the most part, 200 is just fine, and allows higher shutter speeds. There are no signs of noise at 200 or even 400 with the D40. Even with film, I rarely shot below 200 iso, using 100 only for landscapes in the brightest of light. Films below 100 iso aren't readily available anymore anyway, so that isn't a valid comparison.

What is your concern with not being able to shoot below an iso of 200??
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 9:05 PM   #3

my only concern was the choices (limited maybe) i would have, ok so 200, 400 are fine, but when does noise become an issue? 800? 1600?

lets say your using ISO200 are you going to be shooting with fast shutter speeds all day? (summers day)

izzy181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 3:48 AM   #4

Noise becomes noticeable at 800, but 800 and 1600 are both very usable, especially with noise reduction software in post processing. You'll be able to create 8x10 prints easily.

As to shutter speeds, that depends on what the situation is. On a bright sunny day, yes you will likely be using faster shutter speeds. 200 is twice as sensitive as 100, meaning you'll be using a shutter speed twice as fast, or an aperture 1/2 the size. It's not really a big deal, faster shutter speeds will help reduce camera shake/motion blur. Unless you're purposely trying to use slow shutter speeds to convey motion, it won't be a problem.

to put things in perspective, even Nikons pro cameras (the D300, D700 etc) have a base sensitivity of 200 as well...yes they have an option to use a simulated 100 iso, but the sensors are optimized for 200.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote