Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 4, 2008, 7:38 PM   #11

Hello webapprentice,

Then what RAW setting do you use now? "Lossless compressed"?

I'm hardly a "Pro" either. Just a hobbyist enjoying his D300 when time allows. I mean I haven't even shot in RAW yet. Just wondered which mode would be best when using Aperture 2.0 (actually or when using Capture NX...don't know if I would bother upgrading to NX2 as I like the interface of Aperture 2.0). I'm assuming the default "lossless compressed" should be find for most of us. Regardless of which converter we use or which photo editing software. Since there is no loss in image quality and the file sizes are smaller.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 12:55 PM   #12

Hello,
Yes, I use the lossless compression RAW setting in the camera. Lightroom reads the files perfectly fine.

Also, photo editing software will take longer to load and process a larger file than a smaller file, so that is another reason I would want to choose lossless compressed over uncompressed.

With products like Aperture 2, Capture NX2, and Lightroom 2, working with RAW is a much easier affair.

Have fun!

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Hello webapprentice,

Then what RAW setting do you use now? "Lossless compressed"?

I'm hardly a "Pro" either. Just a hobbyist enjoying his D300 when time allows. I mean I haven't even shot in RAW yet. Just wondered which mode would be best when using Aperture 2.0 (actually or when using Capture NX...don't know if I would bother upgrading to NX2 as I like the interface of Aperture 2.0). I'm assuming the default "lossless compressed" should be find for most of us. Regardless of which converter we use or which photo editing software. Since there is no loss in image quality and the file sizes are smaller.
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 4:03 PM   #13

Ok thanks Webapprentice. As I said. I'm likely to set my D300 to lossless as well. I mean if you don't loose any noticeable image quality that is good enough for me. Perhaps in time I might become more picky. Who knows. Will have to see when that time comes.

And as I also said. If one user was able to use uncompressed with Aperture 2.0...then lossless should be no problem. Still I would like to hear from other D300/Aperture 2 owners/users.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 6:31 PM   #14

Can some one briefly outline what happens to the RAW files once you've decided to upload them on to your computer using a photo editing software (w/ built-in RAW converter) like Apple's Aperture 2.0? Are there any steps I should be aware of? Or will the software do all the work for me as it imports the RAW files into the software? Are there any settings I should set before uploading RAW files into Aperture 2.0?

Thanks.