Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 19, 2008, 1:17 PM   #11

deadshot schreef:
Quote:
brocot wrote:
Quote:
Ahpny schreef:
Quote:
Yes, it works just fine. I used my 18-200 VR lens originally with my D80, and that worked out well too.
I have mine new for about 4 weeks. Very satisfied. Only the Card i used is not so well. The 16 Gb Sandisk Extreme III. I have "SHA Error" sometimes. Nikon Belgium has let mi now that the Card is not tested yet, on the D90. I will test it whit a other card.

Night shots are very good (No tripod)
Some results (D90 + Coolpix 8400 ) here :
http://fotoalbum.godderis.be/
Have you got the sharpness boosted or is it set default? as some of these shots look a bit on the soft side , on my screen at least .It has done well with the exposures.
I have most picture taken on AUTOMATIQUE.
Only the Pictures from PARIS are whit the D90 the other whit the COOLPIX 8400
I republished the pictures whit Lightroom so (I hope) you can see the EXIF data.
brocot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 4:57 PM   #12

sweet pics ...
LuisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:21 AM   #13

Sorry I have been such a long time coming back to you brocot. Iam able to see the exif data and it shows that you have everything set at normal with no boosting of sharpness. The review sites that I have looked at the D90 on, all seem to think that the camera needs a sharpness boost as well as one or two others. It is of course a personal thing. I enjoyed looking at your photo's very nice. I took the liberty of saving a couple and opening them in photoshop and increasing the sharpnes, it certainly made them pop! as they say. As a matter of interest I have now deleted them.

Best wishes
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 7:47 PM   #14

BROCOT ,i like your avitar. back in 1968-69 i was in the 6th grade.my teacher mr. bliss had a Yashica slr.he let us the students take pictures threwout the school year.its the first time i looked threw a slr viewfinder.WOW.i still remember the impact compared to my kodak intstamatic 104 at the time.:idea:
scooptdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2009, 4:13 PM   #15

Has anyone successfully used a Nikon GP-1 geotagging device with the D90? I've been trying to get one for months, and stock seems to be non-existent. I was able to snag one from J and R on line last week, but it didn't seem to work, and the Nikon tech rep I spoke with suggested that I return it to the seller. The problem was the unit flashed red only 3-5 times, then nothing, and no GPS indicator in the view screen (the GPS indicator was visable while the red light was flashing). It's supposed to flash red continuously while searching for enough satellite signals, then flash green when a minimum number are found, and light solid green when 4 or more are found (indicating a strong signal).

Of course, when I returned the seeminly defective unit, J and R no longer had any in stock, so I'm back where I was (gps-less). I know Nikon has a frustratingly miserly new product release track record, but has anyone heard that there's some other problem or technical issue with the GP-1? Does anyone know when or why this will be more available?
Ahpny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2009, 5:00 PM   #16
NHL

You may IM DarkDTSHD in this thread: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...954097#p954097

Are you trying this device outdoor under an open sky?
-> I have a different unit and it locks quite quickly...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2009, 2:23 PM   #17

Which GPS unit are you using?I also asked Nikon if they knew of any third party gps device that would work with a d90, and they unsurprisingly said they knew of none.
Ahpny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2009, 3:49 PM   #18
NHL

I have the N2 for a while now: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=55

They have the N90 which works with your camera:
http://www.solmeta.com/en/products_detail.asp?id=1

-> IMO any device that has an internal battery is better than the GP-1, once you started using it:
1. It remembers your last position when moved indoor
2. It's much quicker to re-acquire when you get back outside
3. It doesn't use the camera battery which reduces your # of shots
4. It works really well with the camera auto On/Off (otherwise it will have to re-initialize from a cold start when the power to the device is cut-off) which might take a bit longer before you can take the 1st GPS-enabled shot

#1 above is quite critical when shooting in the wood (or in dense urban area) and the camera does an auto OFF - Your pictures may end up with no GPS tags only to realize it after the fact... The N2 worked even on planes:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=86
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote