Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 10, 2008, 3:34 PM   #1

Nikon D90 will be released soon and there are some sites offering pre-release prices a couple of hundres dollars below suggested list. My question is, historically, when a camera has pre-release pricing does the price of the camera typically increase back to list once it becomes available? Is there any disadvantage to buying the first released cameras?

Thanks!
JimW. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2008, 1:41 PM   #2

BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING ONLINE: GO TO GOOGLE AND PUT IN THE NAME OF THE CAMERA COMPANY. LIKE "BEACH CAMERA REVIEWS". BEACH HAPPENS TO HAVE GOOD REVIEWS. MOST OF THE OTHERS HAVE TERRIBLE REVIEWS WITH HORROR STORIES.

AMAZON OR EBAY ARE GOOD PLACES TO BUY. GOOD PRICES AND YOU HAVE SOME RECOURSE.
HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL
DESIGNER29ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 1:51 PM   #3

JIMW: I JUST PURCHASED THE D90 KIT WITH THE 18-105 VR LENS FOR $1,289.00 DELIVERED. IT IS A GREAT CAMERA WITH THE LIVE VIEW THAT IS HELPFUL WHEN USING A TRIPOD. I HAVEN'T USED THE 5 MINUTE MOVIE FEATURE YET.
I WAS ON AN AMAZON WAIT LIST FOR THE D90 "BODY ONLY"FOR $999.00.
I EMAILED AMAZON AFTER A FEW WEEKS OF WAITING. THEY TOLD ME THE BODY ONLY KITS WILL SHIP MID OCTOBER TO NOVEMBER BUT THEY COULD NOT BE EXACT.
I AM NOT SORRY I PURCHASED THE KIT WITH THE LENS. IT IS GREAT
DESIGNER29ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 10:53 AM   #4

Got my kit from Best Buy with Tripod and camera bag, could not be happier coming from the D50. The movie mode is fun but not the reason for buying this beauty.
Bursie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 11:08 AM   #5

someone has experience with the D90 + 18 - 200 Vr lens ?
Thanks, ...:?
brocot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2008, 7:44 PM   #6

Bought my D90 from Costco over the weekend. The kit was $1399 and it came with the D90 body, 18-55mm VR lens, 55-200 VR lens, 2GB SD card, camera bag and a Nikon digital photography instructional DVD.
franchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 1:52 PM   #7

Yes, it works just fine. I used my 18-200 VR lens originally with my D80, and that worked out well too.
Ahpny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 1:57 PM   #8

Has anyone used a GPS unit with the D90? I know Nikon is supposed to be offering a new one soon (at an unknown cost, but I thought I saw it advertised at about $450 somewhere). I've also seen other GPS unitsadvertised at between $150 - 300, but none seem to say explicitly that they will work with a D90 (they list D200, D300, D2 and other 10-pin connector cameras, etc.). I suspect those will work with the d90 as well? Anyone have any feedback on that?
Ahpny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 3:42 PM   #9

Ahpny schreef:
Quote:
Yes, it works just fine. I used my 18-200 VR lens originally with my D80, and that worked out well too.
I have mine new for about 4 weeks. Very satisfied. Only the Card i used is not so well. The 16 Gb Sandisk Extreme III. I have "SHA Error" sometimes. Nikon Belgium has let mi now that the Card is not tested yet, on the D90. I will test it whit a other card.

Night shots are very good (No tripod)
Some results (D90 + Coolpix 8400 ) here :
http://fotoalbum.godderis.be/

brocot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:47 AM   #10

brocot wrote:
Quote:
Ahpny schreef:
Quote:
I have mine new for about 4 weeks. Very satisfied. Only the Card i used is not so well. The 16 Gb Sandisk Extreme III. I have "SHA Error" sometimes. Nikon Belgium has let mi now that the Card is not tested yet, on the D90. I will test it whit a other card.

Night shots are very good (No tripod)
Some results (D90 + Coolpix 8400 ) here :
http://fotoalbum.godderis.be/
Have you got the sharpness boosted or is it set default? as some of these shots look a bit on the soft side , on my screen at least .It has done well with the exposures.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote