Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 21, 2008, 4:27 PM   #1

Hello;
Recently my D80 started acting weird...I would depress the shutter button half way and lock focus (beep sounds, indicator in viewfinder illuminates) but when I press the shutter button the rest of the way down, nothing happens. In these instances, the focus zone illuminates red, the indicator comes on but then quickly disappears. Once those are gone, I can't fire the shutter. Then I have to lift off the shutter button and start over again. Needless to say, we have missed many pictures due to this condition. I should also note that this is very inconsistent, it'll snap 10 pics perfectly then get hung up.

FYI, I am in single AF (not auto or continuous).

Could it be a faulty shutter button? (camera acts as if my finger is not on the button at all) Or worse?

I made a post a few months back about a weird sound from my d80 after it was dropped from a short distance onto a carpeted surface. It sounds like something rattling around in it. At the time I was calmed by posts indicating that this was normal (orientation sensor?) but now I am wondering otherwise. This behavior about a week ago, not begin right after the dropping, but I still wonder if they are somehow related.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.
2sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2008, 6:55 AM   #2

I'm just learning the D80 and have noticed the same behaviour. From my reading, this is by design. In AF-S mode, if the camera can not get a 'good' focus lock, then the shutter is disabled and you can't take a picture. In AF-C mode, you can over-ride the lack of focus lock and take a picture anyway. In AF-A mode, you can get either behaviour.
hummel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 7:17 AM   #3

Thanks for the response. You are correct, it does not allow you to shoot till the focus is locked, however, the camera goes in focus, locks then loses focus in a fraction of a second all while I have the button depressed half way, not releasing.

HERE IS AN UPDATE: I removed the lens, cleaned the contacts and returned the lens. The focus issue seems to have gone away. However, there still seems to be an issue when using the flash. It does not allow a picture to be taken unless the flash icon in the lower left is present and solid. If it is blinking (flash recharging?), no picture can be taken. If it is not present (why would it not be present?) no picture can be taken. If its there and solid, I can snap away. If the flash is down, I don't seem to have an issue.

Again, any ideas? What do you think is the likely hood of the focus issue coming back? Unfortunately I only have one lens (Nikkor 18-70)so I can't compare between lens to determine if it is a lens or body issue.

Also, I would like to here more opinions on the rattling sound in the camera. I was thinking of going to a Ritz to see if theirs made the same sounds, just to put my mind at ease.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 8:04 AM   #4

Which shooting mode are you using: auto, P, S, etc.?

Does the focus light blink? It might be that the apparent initial focus lock is part of the focus seek strategy rather than an initial lock which is lost.
hummel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 8:23 AM   #5

I am in P mode. No the focus light would not blink. It would lock focus (focus zone lights up, indicator goes solid and the beep sounds), then just goes away.