Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 27, 2008, 5:01 PM   #1

Gear: lens 28-70 without VR, DX format sensor DSLR. Used in a low light situation.

Some possible facts:

- Shuttertime quiet lowfor instance:1/30

- ISO not to high ...because having too much noise at higher ISO.

- shooting mostly by hand --> camera shake. object moves. So the camera has to have a high shutterto prevent double movements!

So getting decent pictures with a DX sensor is hard... a fullframe sensor is the only way to go then?
feetjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2008, 5:43 PM   #2

Your exposures will be no different with full frame vs aps sized sensors. The sensor size is largely irrelevent for determining exposure. Yes you will have lower noise with a full frame sensor at higher iso's. You don't say which camera you have, but the current crop of Nikon Dslr's produce usable images up to Iso's of 1600, especially with noise reduction. If shutter speeds are too low you could always use a tripod or monopod to reduce camera shake.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2008, 1:14 PM   #3

Thanks ..let me refhrase my question:

The larger sensor/low amount pixels does give me less noise which means I canchoose a higher ISO. --> Which means faster shuttertime --> better frozen subject --> thus less blurry pictures.

But what ISO value is usable in the following situation:

1) photo's used right out of the camera. Do not want to use software to remove noise. Pictures used for common handsize photos. camera: D700 24-70 f2.8 ISO. The max usable ISO = 1600?

2) Will use Raw software to remove noise etc. Same camera etc. Used camera: D700. What is the max usable ISO which will give me non grainy sharp pictures after using software to convertfrom raw tojpg? --> 3200, 6400 or even higher?

I would like to know this because of the higher usable ISO setting on the D700. Some say 1 stop advantage is already great. But some things ...the higher the better...

Old Oct 28, 2008, 9:12 PM   #4

I'm not sure I completely understand what your shooting situation is. What kind of images are you shooting??? I don't know what handsize images are, unless you're referring to the size of the image, in which case you should be able to use an ISO of 1600 with no issues, even with an APS sized sensor. I've printed 4x6's with my D300 at 2000 and 3200.

You also say you use the images straight from camera, but use software to reduce noise. Using noise reduction software will lessen detail, but will give you pretty noise free images.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2008, 11:20 AM   #5

Ok you use the D300 at ISO 3200 for 4X6 prints. Thanks.

Any recommendation about a commercial noise remover which is actueally good?

Old Nov 6, 2008, 11:54 AM   #6

feetjai wrote:
Quote:

Ok you use the D300 at ISO 3200 for 4X6 prints. Thanks.

Any recommendation about a commercial noise remover which is actueally good?

Noiseware, Neatimage and Noise ninja are 3 of the most popular. I've used Noiseware for years and have been extremely happy with the results.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2008, 4:00 AM   #7

Thanks!

I tried several high noise pictures with both noise ninja and noiseware.

Great noise removers. Now wait for money on my bank till I can purchase one.

(The original post #1: I was thinking how the non lens stabilisation would affect blurry pictures in my photo's , because I am used to Sony with in camera stabilisation. But I learned that if you approx. use a shuttertimearound the focus distance , for instance 105 mm then useshuttertime above 105 --> 1/125. Then it's ok.)