Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 22, 2008, 9:28 PM   #1

Just a general query. What PC do you guys leave your camera set at the most? I leave mine at Standard (default settings...for now). And have you upped the saturation, contrast...etc.

I realize you may change it depending on your mood or subject. This is a personal choice. Just wondered what kind of settings you all preferred for what ever the scene.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2008, 5:36 AM   #2

D2X 1 or 2, depending on what I'm shooting.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2008, 11:34 AM   #3

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
D2X 1 or 2, depending on what I'm shooting.¬*
I haven't used either of them yet. Did you leave them set to their default? (e.g. saturation, contraqst). I will be experimenting soon when I get the chance to shoot again.

I posted this thread because I was reading some articles on Ken Rockwell's website. Forgot you could adjust the settings for each Picture Control (Standard, Vivid, Neutral...etc.).

Do you notice a difference between shooting in Std mode vs D2X1 and D2X3?
Old Nov 23, 2008, 3:31 PM   #4

I bumped saturation another step in each picture control. I prefer to handle the rest in post work as I don't like how the camera handles sharpening. I found the D2x controls are closer to what I actually see, I have to do very little adjusting in terms of color. I found the standard controls color too flat, and vivid way too processed looking. I've never tested the newer landscape and portrait modes.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2008, 4:25 PM   #5

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
I bumped saturation another step in each picture control. I prefer to handle the rest in post work as I don't like how the camera handles sharpening.¬* I found the D2x controls are closer to¬* what I actually see, I have to do very little adjusting in terms of color.¬* I found the standard controls color too flat, and vivid way too processed looking.¬* I've never tested the newer landscape and portrait modes.
Hello RJ,

As far as sharpness is concerned I find the default adequate. So I've left that as is. I have bumped up the saturation while in Standard by 1 and then by 2. Just to test. Have yet to upload the images. Standard "flat"? To each his own I guess.

And no I haven't tried the new "landscape" or "portrait" modes either. I'd have to remove the D2X settings which I haven't really played around with even. I'll probably start trying the D2X modes a lot more. Haven't shot in those modes enough.

When in D2X modes do you also bump up the saturation by 1? You said you did in all Picture Controls modes.

Has any D300 (or D700 owner...heard you can have 8 presets using a D700) compared the D2X portrait/lanscape modes to the newly released? Which do you prefer? Do you leave them at their default? Better yet could some one post an a/b comparison...two photo's, same subject, one in D2X Landscape and one in New Landscape modes? Or D2X Portrait vs New Portrait...

Thanks for commenting.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 6:52 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Just moved this to our Nikon section for you.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2008, 11:45 AM   #7

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
Just moved this to our Nikon section for you.
Thanks Mark1616.

Last night I installed the new "Portrait" and "Landscape" picture control settings. Now I have the D2X 1 & 3 (removed the 2nd) and both of the new ones. Have yet to try the new on my D300. But have tried the D2X settings...well at least the D2X "landscape" option. I think the greens do look more "pleasing" vs. shooting in Std mode (saturation +1). Have to do more shooting to see if this is so. And will be interesting to see if there is any noticeable difference between the "new" landscape option and the D2X. Will post again later.

So it turns out even the D300 will allow you to install 4 additional picture control choices (in addition to the 4 that came installed...Standard, Neutral, Vivid and Monochrome). Now when I make a change to one and want to save my D300 automatically opens a new menu so you can save I think 5 or 6 personal picture controls. Allowing you to name them as you please. Guess it saves us a little time.