Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:31 AM   #1

After years with Canon products, I decided to go over to the "dark" side and ordered a Nikon D700 with the 50mm f/1.4 lens, the 70-200 f/2.8 VRis backordered, can't wait for that! Well, the big brown truck delivered the body and lens yesterday and, after starting in on the 444 page owners manual and charging the battery, I took my first shots with it, using ISO 6400.

I shot a couple ofpics of my two teens in relatively low light and the IQ is amazing, noise free, even in shadow areas.

But wait, what is that in the lower right side of both images? AHHHHHHHH.........it's a dead pixel! Hold on, maybe it's just the LCD, let me print them......noooo.....it's on the prints, which means its inthe sensor! My $2300.00 camera body is defective right out of the box! Not the way I wanted to start out with my first Nikon!

I called Nikon tech support and they stated that any bad pixel in the sensor makes it a defective camera and that I should contact the dealer I bought it from and get an exchange.

So, I called FotoConnection and an exchange will be made free of charge, my cost to ship it back, though.

We shall see how this all plays out!:evil:
Bob N is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2008, 11:33 AM   #2

Was this pixel present on lower iso images?? It's not uncommon to see issues like that at extreme iso's. Dead pixels happen, and at least you bought from a vendor with a good retunr/exchange policy. Have fun with your new camera.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 9:55 PM   #3

The ISO when the pics were taken was 6400, but that is where this camera is supposed to shine, at the high ISOs. Much of my shooting is at high ISOs, too. According to the Nikon tech support girl, any D series camera with a dead pixel is considered a defective camera.

Sent it back today, they should have it Monday, then we'll see how good a vendor they are! They said as soon as they get it they will send another one out.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 7:19 AM   #4

I understand the camera's high ISO ability. However, higher iso's put more pressure (for lack of a better term) on the sensor and will result in lower quality images...ie noise, hot spots, etc. Was the pixel completely black, or did it show up bright red?? If it's bright red, it's not a dead pixel...it's a hot pixel, and is likely showing up because of the amplified signal of the higher ISO, an there's a good chance it won't show up at lower ISO's. If that's the case, the camera is probably functioning normally and not truly defective. If the pixel captures no info (ie black) it is truly a dead pixel. Hot pixels will show up from time to time due to noise or long exposures.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 6:22 PM   #5

It's a red pixel, but it shows up continuously in all pics in the same place, I onlytest shot it at ISO 6400 so I don't know about any other speed. I've never had that problem in any other DSLR I've owned(8 and counting)and for $2300.00 I expect perfection at any ISO. I did have the problem in a point and shoot Fuji and they (Dell, great return policy)exchanged it with no problem.

Thanks for explaining the difference between a hot and dead pixel, I never knew that before.