Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 26, 2008, 4:28 PM   #1

Hi, I wanna have a new Nikon. Probably a D90. I have had a D50 since its introduction in 2005. It has about 12,000 actuations. No problem ever. Two or three sensor cleanings and that's it. I'd categorize myself as a very advanced amateur. I still do away with a 50mm 1.8, 55-200 VR. No high gear here. Question: would I be so frakking happy with a D90? Would I get so stunning photos? I'm not on a tight budget but I can't be careless either. Thanks for your input. Karmin.
Karmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2008, 5:08 PM   #2

I used to have a D50. I upgraded to a D80 which in my eyes was a fairly big step up from the D50. Image quality and functionality were both better. I've since gotten a D300 which is also a huge step up. If you're after more control, better IQ etc, the D90 would be a good step.

If you're currently getting great images from your D50, the D90 will serve you well, and you will notice a difference. If you're getting lousy images with the D50, it's likely an issue with your skills, and the D90 won't help.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2008, 11:27 PM   #3

That is really good advice-

The Nikon D-50 was a great DSLR camera. The D-90 is an even better, and much more advancedupgrade. So my advice is to go for it.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2008, 7:23 AM   #4

My good lady wife has given me an early Christmas present:-) a shiny brilliant D90 (body only). I assume my lenses from my D40X will work they all have the CPU contacts. :?
gerreilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2008, 10:12 AM   #5

gerreilly wrote:
Quote:
My good lady wife has given me an early Christmas present:-) a shiny brilliant D90 (body only). I assume my lenses from my D40X will work they all have the CPU contacts. :?
Yes, they will, and Merry Chtristmas! Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 12:10 PM   #6

gerreilly wrote:
Quote:
Hi gerreilly,

I would be very interested to know how much better you find the D90 over the D40x (image quality wise) as I am thinking of making that change. I realise the D90 has more features which obviously make a more versatile camera but I have to convince my wife that's it's a good idea. :-)
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 4:02 PM   #7

deadshot wrote:
Quote:
Hi gerreilly,

I would be very interested to know how much better you find the D90 over the D40x (image quality wise) as I am thinking of making that change. I realise the D90 has more features which obviously make a more versatile camera but I have to convince my wife that's it's a good idea. :-)
Depending on what you shoot, you may see more of an image quality increase from a lens upgrade vs body upgrade. For example when I went from a prosumer DSLR to a pro level DSLR the family snaps looked a little better but not much. When I swapped my consumer lens for a pro lens - BAM. THAT made a difference.

On the other hand, for my sports work, the better AF system of the body made an immediate impact - as did the better high ISO performance and better burst rate.

Still, the d90 has a different sensor and processor so there will be some improvement in all shots. But for a standard family snap don't expect it to be a huge leap.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 6:04 AM   #8

Hi JohnG thanks for the reply.

What you say is good sense.My problem is thatI dont want to carry around several lenses any more, due to the weight, as I did with my film slrs.So when I went over to a digital SLR I opted for the 18-200 VR lens. I realise it isn't the best lens around but for me it does all I ask of it. It's all a matter of compromisesI guess.The main thing holding me back as far as the D90 is concerned is the weight issue.You may think whats a few ounces here or there but when you get into your 70s they start to add up and become more of an issue to carry around all day. My bag at the moment with spare battery +spare memory and the small SB400 flash weighs in at 4lb12 ozs plus I usually have a Gorillapod clipped to my bag =another 6ozs. Oh for the days when I carried everything but the kitchen sink around all day and thought nothing of it.My weakness is I love cameras, if I was wealthy I would have severall.
Old May 30, 2009, 2:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmin View Post
Hi, I wanna have a new Nikon. Probably a D90. I have had a D50 since its introduction in 2005. It has about 12,000 actuations. No problem ever. Two or three sensor cleanings and that's it. I'd categorize myself as a very advanced amateur. I still do away with a 50mm 1.8, 55-200 VR. No high gear here. Question: would I be so frakking happy with a D90? Would I get so stunning photos? I'm not on a tight budget but I can't be careless either. Thanks for your input. Karmin.
Yes D90 is a better camera than D50. As you know D50 is one of the great camera. Next few months there will be new Nikon DSLR that is better and cheaper than D90. Buy one now if you think you need it. If you are looking for better camera wait a few months.
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 2:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchai View Post
Yes D90 is a better camera than D50. As you know D50 is one of the great camera. Next few months there will be new Nikon DSLR that is better and cheaper than D90. Buy one now if you think you need it. If you are looking for better camera wait a few months.
I assume you mean the D 5000? or do you know someone I dont???