Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 16, 2008, 2:17 PM   #1

i am just curious about this and someone out there will probably know the answer.

A friend of mine has an Olympus E510 which has pixel mapping as a feature which automaticaly deletes hot pixels. I sent my D40x back to Nikon earlier this year to have some hot pixels removed . They actually changed my sensor which was good but I have now got some h/p's on this sensor. So why dont Nikon put pixel mapping and deletion in any of their DSLRs?. Is there a good /valid reason for this?. It cant be about money as the Olympus cameras are not that expensive. Nikon must be capable of applying it.Im puzzled.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2008, 5:25 AM   #2

I don't know. I'm not sure that Nikon has ever released a statement about mapping. It's an issue that pops up every now and then. In all honesty, in 4 years and 3 different cameras, I've never needed this function.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2008, 12:17 PM   #3

The strange thing is, that on a couple of reviews of the D90 the reviewer states that the D90 is better than the D80 in regards to hot pixels and that the D40x and the D60 were better than the D80 in regards to H/Ps even though the D60 and D80 have the same sensor.http://bythom.com/nikond90review.htmMy friends Oly E510 took about 5 secs to clear his H/Ps. I have to P/Shop mine out, when they are a nusiance which isn't that often I must admit.

Nikon told me that I should not have them at all and to return the camera.

Come on Nikon ,sort it out!
Old Dec 19, 2008, 1:05 PM   #4

Can you show me what a picture with hot pixels looks like? I think I may have this issue with my D40....

NotDadsW41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2008, 9:15 AM   #5

Go to http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/hot-pixels/index.htm. This will show you some. Despite sending my D40x back to Nikon and having none when the camera was returned to me, I now have several again. So do I want the expense of sending my camera off again, for what appears to be a regular occurance.? I think not. If it's any consolation, the Canon threads have the same posts.I think had I realised these things I would have most likely bought an Olympus.