Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:31 AM   #1

Hello,

Has anyone used the Sunpak PZ42X flash unit?

If so, is it reliable and how does it do at getting nice exposure with i-TTL?

Thank you!

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2008, 6:21 PM   #2

Glen,

I take it that you decided to keep your Nikon D70 due to is abiltiy to fire flash at 1/500th of a sec which is critical to use for outdoor flash use.

The following link does not say much but has a following link that shows examples of the shots taken with it indoors with the empty box and gear lying around along with comparison to the SB 400 which I have and use for close work indoors with family candids and low ceilings for the bounce feature it has but no rotation for portrait mode shooting.

http://www.studiolighting.net/sunpak...tl-flash-unit/

By the way in your inquiring in another thread about the Gary Fong Puffer. It works in dampening the harsh highlight effect. The problem with shadow will show when either the subject is too close to a background or it is direct flash shot. So the puffer does not eliminate that but does diminish it. Bounce is always best to minimize to eliminate the shadow background of the subject. Look into abetterbouncecard as well and watch the lenthty videos. A bit long but does work when you use it for situations that call for its use. The posted example of cutting the handle of a plastic milk container has been the best idea I have come across as well cutting out a 35mm empty film container (opaque one). You can find that on photojojo.com

http://www.studiolighting.net/sunpak...tl-flash-unit/

This is a good looking flash for the price and it is also useable for d-ttl as well as i-ttl.

Edit:

Glen,

Take a look at the DigiSlave 3000. It is a great flash that you can use with both cameras that you have. It is a nice economical solution to your flash needs for the time being. It may be just all that you need. I have the older model body but it is the same flash. I believe the redesign was to take advantage of diffusers one would want to buy to add to their flash photography needs and creativity.

This flash has one drawback but not a big one since it is a slave flash. It does not swivel in portrait mode while in the hotshoe. I use it coupled with the onboard flash and handheld to get the desired results.

Flash is fun but spendy if you try everything out there to get the results you are looking for. I do recommend the DigiSlave 3000 for its versatility and the good results that can be had using it.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2008, 5:49 AM   #3

Yeah.

I'm keeping my D70s.

Each platform has its pros & cons and, yeah . . . I want to keep my D70s. <grin>

Oh, yeah. Thanks for reminding me about the flash sync speed. I'd forgotten about that!

Looking through the specs for this flash unit, it doesn't have FP-Sync listed. Probably doesn't have it, but for $150 I wouldn't expect it to have this feature.

On the D70s, you'd probably be able to fake out high-speed sync on manual mode up to 1/1000sec or 1/2000sec, but as soon as I upgraded to a D80 or D90, I'd lose high-speed sync because they don't use the electronic-shutter anymore.

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:19 AM   #4

The D80 is not much of an upgrade. Wait for the D90. If you want a dedicated flash that will work with both cameras. The SB800 has a SU-4 mode which makes it a slave flash. Unfortunately, it does not have that feature with the SB600 which has gone down in price, but still a great flash dedicated or using the CLS feature that the D70s can do.

If I were in your situation, I would get the SB800. It can be used with your D70s as dedicated, CLS or slave. It can be used as a slave with any camera that has a pop-up flash.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:54 PM   #5

While I can't comment on that flash, I can tell you that it was a pleasure dealing with the distributor for sunpak, tocad.com. I use the sunpak PF30X on my d40. To make a long story short, I had all kinds of problems at first (misfires and poor performance). I emailed tocad and they told me that I had an older version and needed the firmware updated so it would operate with the iTTL system. I sent it to them and 2 weeks later I got it back.

It works great! It's recycle time is far less (almost instantaneously with re-chargeables) then the published specs and it works great nearly 100% of the time.

There is a link on tocad's site...you can write them with your questions.

http://www.sunpak.com/sunpak/flashunits.html

Mine retailed for about $100 and I picked it up on clearance for $14 at circuit city!

gregg
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote