Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 27, 2008, 5:17 PM   #1

hi

i have been taking plenty of pictures with my new d60 but they seem to look too bright and also a little soft ( i think thats the word im looking for?? )

i have only used the auto mode in normal, fine and raw shoot but still not happy with the light thats on the picture and the softness of the overall picture

can anyone pass me some advice to get a cleaner and sharper shot??

cheers jonny
jonnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2009, 10:26 AM   #2

Jonny…

I find that when I shoot in auto, there is a tendency for the camera to overexpose and produce flat pictures. I typically shoot in P (program) mode, and set the EV for -1/3 to -2/3, depending on the lighting. If there is lots of overhead sun, I'll shoot with -1/3, unless the shadows are going black. If they are, I'll use the D-lighting feature to bring the details back in the shadows. I find the quickest way to bring the contrast back into the picture is to override the camera's normal settings it uses and not use auto mode at all.

There is also a custom setting in the menu to give the pictures more contrast in processing. Go to optimize image/custom. In that submenu, you can set a higher contrast by selecting custom, then select tone compensation. I think medium low or medium high will put the contrast back in your pictures. Low cuts the contrast, while the others increases the contrast in the final picture…

For extra sharpness, there is an adjustment in the menu system as well. Go to optimize image/custom/image sharpening. From there, you have half a dozen settings; the +1 and +2 give you more sharpness in the picture.

I find I get the added contrast by deliberately underexposing the picture by 1/3 to 2/3 of a stop. I haven't experimented yet with the sharpness adjustment, so I'm not sure how that will work out…

Hope this helps.

Mark Murphy

(boston_photog)
boston_photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:40 PM   #3

Sharpness is dependent on quite a few things. Lens quality (higher quality=sharper), aperture (wide open is typically soft, closed all the way down is generally soft), and technique. Shooting at higher shutter speeds or using support (a tripod) at slower speeds will increase sharpness. Without seeing your images or knowing all of your equipment, its hard to say what may be causing the lack of sharpness.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 4:46 PM   #4

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
Sharpness is dependent on quite a few things. Lens quality (higher quality=sharper), aperture (wide open is typically soft, closed all the way down is generally soft), and technique. Shooting at higher shutter speeds or using support (a tripod) at slower speeds will increase sharpness. Without seeing your images or knowing all of your equipment, its hard to say what may be causing the lack of sharpness.
That's so...I made an assumption in the analysis that the problem had nothing to do with shutter speed and the quality of the lens. One possibility I had mulled over was that you were perhaps shooting pictures with a Nikkor 55-200 mm zoom, which tends to produce soft images when used at full aperture of f/5.6. A bum lens will give you fuzzy pictures, no matter what f/stop you're using.

Perhaps you could post a few of the pictures in question so we can see, if you're comfortable with doing that. From there, the answer will reveal itself.

Mark Murphy
(boston_photog)
boston_photog is offline   Reply With Quote