Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:27 PM   #1

I'm a new user to this forum, so please excuse me if this topic has been previously posted.

I got a Nikon D90 for Christmas (yes, I'm a lucky and happy guy!). I've been testing the camera over the past two days, and so far I love it.

I tried the Movie Mode today, and noticed after I downloaded my video that it does not seem to be capturing full motion video. I believe the D90 captures at 28 fps, but it appears that the video I took is capturing at far less than 28 fps. My video is quite jerky, even when the camera is not panning. My estimate would be that it is capturing at roughly 14 fps....certainly not full motion video. The image quality is excellent, with a beatiful and clear image (just not smooth during playback).

I have my Movie Mode settings set to the following:

NTSC
1280 x 720
Sound ON

I have an 8Gb memory card by Adata. It says that it is a "Turbo Class 6". Not sure what that means.

Can someone please let me know if I'm doing something wrong?

I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks!
Polar993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:38 PM   #2

I'm a new user to this forum, so please excuse me if this topic has been previously posted.

I got a Nikon D90 for Christmas (yes, I'm a lucky and happy guy!). I've been testing the camera over the past two days, and so far I love it.

I tried the Movie Mode today, and noticed after I downloaded my video that it does not seem to be capturing full motion video. I believe the D90 captures at 28 fps, but it appears that the video I took is capturing at far less than 28 fps. My video is quite jerky, even when the camera is not panning. My estimate would be that it is capturing at roughly 14 fps....certainly not full motion video. The image quality is excellent, with a beatiful and clear image (just not smooth during playback).

I have my Movie Mode settings set to the following:

NTSC
1280 x 720
Sound ON

I have an 8Gb memory card by Adata. It says that it is a "Turbo Class 6". Not sure what that means.

Can someone please let me know if I'm doing something wrong?

I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks!
Old Dec 28, 2008, 9:44 AM   #3

I don't have a D90. Can you play the videos in the camera? Do they play properly there? Maybe the problem is with the computer you are playing them on or the software the computer uses to play them.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 12:06 PM   #4

It plays at about the same frame rate on the LCD of the camera, though it's not as noticeable because of the small size of the display. The quality of the video isn't really poor, it's just a but slow.

I'm wondering if my settings are 100% correct. Does it really matter if I use NYSC or PAL? I'm in the USA, so I assume I should be using the NTSC standard for playbaclk on US TV models.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old Dec 28, 2008, 8:31 PM   #5

Upon further testing, I found out that the video plays quite smoothly when directly connected to a television/monitor, which leads me to believe that the "jerkiness" that I am experiencing is most likely a result of the video processor in my computer. I downloaded the videos to my laptop, which is decent, but it doesn't have a dual core processor, nor does it have the best video card.

I'll try playing the video on a faster computer to see if that makes a difference.

Old Dec 29, 2008, 4:17 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Hi,

Just moved this out of the point and shoot Nikon section into the dSLR section for you.

Probably that even though you have a class 6 card it is still not fast enough for video. I had this problem with a Panasonic camera shooting HD where I was using a class 6 card but wasn't giving the speed I need. I switched to a Sandisk Extreme IIIcard and all was fine.

Sure the Nikon guys can help more.

Thanks,

Mark

edit: just found you had already posted in the dSLR section sojoined the threads together and also see you have the answer you need which is great.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 3:13 PM   #7

the extreme III is highly rated and recomended i have a d90 too although not tested the movie mode i am likely to think the memory card is the answer to your problem

edit : ok i just filmed a short 2 min video and i dont have such a problem im NOT using a sandisk extreme but a AWC PRO class 6 ....... but i think the card would be the answer you can pick 4gb extreme III up cheap enough .
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 3:43 PM   #8

Polar993 wrote:
Quote:
Upon further testing, I found out that the video plays quite smoothly when directly connected to a television/monitor, which leads me to believe that the "jerkiness" that I am experiencing is most likely a result of the video processor in my computer. I downloaded the videos to my laptop, which is decent, but it doesn't have a dual core processor, nor does it have the best video card.

I'll try playing the video on a faster computer to see if that makes a difference.

that must be the answer the graphics card..... :idea: didnt think about that ooooops , :? this will definatly have some effect on playback i would imagine a dual core is amore than capable processor in fact im sure it is i used to edit hd dvd on the one i had a fair while ago....

simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2009, 12:42 PM   #9

if an extreem 111 card works better imagine the improvment with a 300x 45mps with USDM or is it UMDA? whatever.when i stepped up to a 300x speed card from the ultra 111 my d300 operated noticeably faster in download and burst modes.with a newer machine like your d90 im sure the umda WOULD IMPROVE PERFORMANCE.:|
scooptdoo is offline   Reply With Quote