Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 28, 2008, 9:51 AM   #1

My wife gave me a D700 for Christmas (isn't she nice). I love the camera and am very impressed with the quality of the images. I still have the D300 and use it for longer shots. I guess that makes it an expensive 1.5x teleconverter. I notice though that Nikon took out the "mass storage device" mode when you hook it up to the USB port. My G9 also took this out. Is this a trend? Is this a result of avoiding someones copywrite on the file transfer system? My D300 just shows up as a disk when pluged in and I use a simple file rename/transfer program (PIE) to move and view the files. The D700 requires me to use Nikon software or remove the card. Am I missing something. Sure was convenient the old way, especially on the road.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2008, 10:36 AM   #2

Can't say i've ever noticed...i always use a card reader It's faster and saves battery life. I also don't have to worry about knocking the camera off the desk.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 12:02 PM   #3

I tried downloading the pictures to my mothers laptop (SD friendly) and the adapter I have fits a PC card slot. The new laptops use an express card? So my CF adapter would not fit so I figured use the USB cable. That's when I discovered the issue. I read somewhere Microsoft had tried suing card and camera makers over the FAT copyright infringement. I just figured to avoid future issues they dropped the "mass storage device" option. I had to hunt down a card reader to move the pictures.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 8:49 PM   #4

Congratulationss on your new camera. You are one lucky guy!
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote